Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding my grandfathers 85 230g. Frame welded and gusseted, new front end and brake rebuild, engine tuned up and carb rebuilt. Now I just have the back brake and wheel bearings. Large metal pieces when I drained the diff oil. has 6k miles on it and I bet it has never been changes. Looked like the bearing cages if I had to guess. Funny thing it it feels smooth. The manual isn't very helpful and when looking for bearings the schematics seem to show 2 different sizes but when I try and buy them it comes up as either 2 of the same size or just 1 new bearing for the diff. I know I will have to pull the shaft from the right side. Any helpful tips from someone who has done this before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody? Well I opened it up and have mostly apart and $305 in bearings and seals and I will attempt to get it put back together. The metal shavings came from the pinion bearing cage and pinion shims. At first I thought it wasn't to bad but when I cleaned out all the grease with gas you could tell. The inside of the case you can see where the metal has been slung around. If I can get the pinion out without hurting anything reassembly should be a breeze. Only drawback is the cost. I went looking for lowest cost quality bearings and $300 was as low as I could get it. Most of the parts you can't get from the dealers so a hunt to find them from multiple locations and the shipping eats you alive. I am going to try and get a youtube video about it one day. Still open to any advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have it back together. It is easier to do than the honda of a similar year. The oil seal over the pinion was the hold up. Motosport.com took my money and said it would be 2 weeks to ship it. I ordered 13 other parts from 12 other places. It sill hadn't arrived after 3 weeks so I emailed, no response. I called and the lady said they sent me an email they didn't have it. I told her they never returned my money and no email was sent. She hung up on me. Its ok though I did get an email from them 4 min after she hung up on me. I eventually did get a refund as well. I was able to buy a similar size but 1/2 mm thicker seal from a random website. If you need one I think arctic cat used a similar size on a few models but didn't try it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts