Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2022 KQ 750se+ not a week ago just pulled it out this evening to put some more time on it for break in and noticed the finish has chipped and is showing signs of rust on my front A-arm welds. I haven’t gone on any dirt or gravel roads yet just asphalt. I know over time this will happen but has anyone seen this on theirs this early?
Hoping it’s not a defect of some sort.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Bicycle Vehicle brake

·
Super Moderator
2020 KingQuad 750
357 Posts
So, I'm just seeing this post now and I just went out to the garage to look at my front A-arms to see. I do have little specs of rust, and they're at the weld points, like yours are. Not as pronounced as yours are but there are some small rust spots at some of the weld points. This is now something I will most definitely keep an eye on. If it looks like it gets worse, I'll clean it up good and spray a little black rustoleum on it in spots. I am pretty anal about keeping my machine clean as well and it took this post for me to look and notice this.

I dont think it is a huge deal, but I can understand it being something of concern, especially since you havnt even got the machine dirty underneath yet. Seems as though the paint didn't adhere that well to the welds. Interesting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have those exact same brown spots on the welds of my 2020 Suzuki King Quad 400. They were there when it was new. I don't think it is rust. From what I found, it looks like it is silica byproduct from the welding process. The brown spots are smooth to the touch as well, so they are probably coated over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just checked the a-arms on my 22 KQ 750. Same spots. It could be silica but it could also be that they coated these a-arms while that weld was still hot. With the shortages that they have on new atv inventory, it seems feasible that they're rushing production. If this is the case, a recoat should cure it. I used rhino liner on mine.

·
Super Moderator
2020 KingQuad 750
357 Posts
Both very interesting ideas. Since the original poster mentioned this, it has kind of been in the back of my head. I'm hoping that it is just a residue left over from the welding process. But wouldn't the frames first be assembled, welded and then powder coated ... or painted? Are you saying that the silica byproduct from the welding process did not allow the paint to adhere to the welded area and that byproduct is still on that welded joint? I'm going to try rubbing out one of these areas this weekend to see if there is a painted surface under those brown spots or if it just a bare metal weld.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts