Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.I just bought a brand new 2019 king quad 750 with power steering.I had it boiled down to two options, the girzzly or king quad. I've never owned either before. I was upgrading for the purpose of running tracks so power steering was very important. I have a honda foreman with ps and compared both side by side i noticed a pretty big difference. The foreman has 26" bear claw htr tires with low air pressure while the suzuki had the small stock tires that i put 10 psi in and still the foremans ps was excellent compared to the king quad. Especially in four wheel drive ive noticed to turn all the way right or left i have to throw some grunt into it.The foreman with big tires in 4x4 steers like your riding on a cloud! Suzuki said they boosted the ps up 30% for the 2019 model? Has anyone gone from a grizzly 700 to the new king quad 750 that can give me a comparison. Im now hesitating to even think of putting tracks on the king quad which was the entire reason for the upgrade in the first place.I test drove he grizzly too but obv going 5 miles an hour on pavement really doesnt compare to taking it out on the trails for an hour.who has the better power steering grizzly or king quad? thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No to derail your question but along your power steering topic, has anyone driven a 2019 KQ750 without power steering? They have some sweet deals right now, I've never had a power steering atv and am coming from a vinson 500, its a big $$ jump to get it, do I REALLY need it?

From the post above it seems like it might not be worth the $$?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Haven't had an ATV with power steering myself. I'm sure it has it's advantages but honestly, in my opinion, it's not needed. I have 2014 400 ASI and the 2018 500 AXI which is the same machine as the 750 AXI, neither have power steering.

Either one can be navigated through the woods with minimal effort, I don't do deep mud with my machines but, I do maintain my 1/4 mile long dirt driveway pulling a DR Power Grader. Lots of tight lock to lock turning during that process, no problems at all.

My 13-year-old Daughter has no issues riding in the woods with either of my machines and trust me, she is no female equivalent to Arnold Schwarzenegger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No to derail your question but along your power steering topic, has anyone driven a 2019 KQ750 without power steering? They have some sweet deals right now, I've never had a power steering atv and am coming from a vinson 500, its a big $$ jump to get it, do I REALLY need it?

From the post above it seems like it might not be worth the $$?
I drove both side by side at the dealership. there is definitely a noticeable difference between the two. Whether its worth the extra money to you?? I'd say test drive both side by side as i did. Ive had some injuries to my wrist so non power steering quads are out of the question for me. Can anyone out there tell me who has the better power steering grizzly or king quad?

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is test driving both an issue for you? I would suggest you follow your own advice
I did test drive both the grizzly and king quad side by side.I couldn't tell much of a difference.But test driving 5 miles an hour on black top vs some one else's experience perhaps owning them both and having trail time to really say one is truly better then the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 2016 Grizzly 700 with PS and now have a 2019 KQ750 with PS. I would say the Grizzly has less steering effort at slower speeds but it gets twitchy at higher speeds. The KQ requires slightly more steering effort at lower speeds but handles better at higher speeds. Just my .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 2016 Grizzly 700 with PS and now have a 2019 KQ750 with PS. I would say the Grizzly has less steering effort at slower speeds but it gets twitchy at higher speeds. The KQ requires slightly more steering effort at lower speeds but handles better at higher speeds. Just my .02
what about in 4x4, say at speeds 5 to 10 mph girzzly or king? running tracks i would imagine i'd be in four wheel drive most of the time at such speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At 5 to 10 mph, I would say the grizzly in 4x4. Just being honest even though I have a KQ in place of the grizzly.
Would you say theres a big enough difference in 4x4 to sell the king quad and get the grizzly? i want tracks in the worst way and want to make sure i have the best machine for the job, but at the same time i already bought the king quad and dont wanna make the switch over minimal difference at this point?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think I would trade your KQ for a Grizzly. Even in 4x4 the KQ is pretty close to the Grizzly and in diff Lock, I think the KQ is easier than the Grizzly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guys here's the truth about the 2019 king that for some reason isnt really well known despite suzuki putting it in their press material for the release of the new bike, on the power steering models the front end geometry is pretty radically changed to give much greater high speed stability, which was the one knock against the previous generations. But the price for that stability is increased effort, so the power steering unit is 30% higher output, they also made the bars narrower and more swept back for comfort but this of course reduces leverage, so when you add it all up a lot of the magazine testers said the steering effort actually felt harder than last year.
The other thing that seemed to slip by everyone is that the 2019 non power steering king quads still have the old toed in geometry so riding them back to back with the EPS bikes makes it really tough to tell the difference in steering effort, personally I love the new front end geometry and have no problem at all with the steering effort, but I do wish they would have left the bars alone, in fact I'm going to swap my 19 bars out with the old bars which are wider lower and give more leverage.
As for the comparison with the grizzly, I also have a 19 kodiak, same exact bike except for bodywork, and yes it's less effort at the bars, but it's also much more toed in and the bars are nice and wide and flat with very little sweep, but like someone else said in exchange for that you get a little more flightiness at higher speeds. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One other thing that helped me a lot, I moved my bars up/forward a good 4 inches from where they were set from the dealership, this really helped a lot with leverage, but I still wish I could move the ends of the bars another few inches forward, I hate the way the ends are swept back like a harley road glide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your responses, appreciate it. I was also looking into putting a speedohealer on the king quad that way i could possibly trick the ecu to thinking im going slower so maybe ill get more power steering at faster speeds. Anyone ever try that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just an update, I got the no power steering model and think it totally fine, its lightyears ahead of my old vinson. If you never had power steering you are not going to miss a thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey yeah I traded a 2017 grizz for a 2019 king 750 . I returned the king to the shop I think the power steering quit .

·
Registered
22 Posts
If anyone wants to see how their quad with ps would be without ps .just take out the ps fuse under seat. I know this for the kq I tried it...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Personally, I think my 2019 KQ 750 PS is just right , I don’t notice it’s there! I notice it more on rough rock trail where the steering dampening is awesome, compared any none PS models (like my older BF).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I double checked my 2019 750 SE+ for the power steering motor after coming off a Can-Am Outlander with 3 stage PS settings. I didn't notice the motor down low in the steering column; I'm guessing it's up high somewhere? It doesn't seem very powerful if it's there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, it’s brilliantly up high behind your top cowl, just under the handlebars. Yes it has no 3 setting can-am like wizardry, it also does not take power steering fluid(it’s Electric PS). Just observing my friends POPOs, Can-ams, even Yammy, the steering unit is exposed way more to dirt water and debris.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts