Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I trust everyone is having a great summer despite the new norm.
I’ve certainly been enjoying myself

well with just over 4000km on my 2019 now I finally need new front pads, I could have probably squeezed out a little more out of them , they were just under 2mm of pad left so I though what the heck, get her done..
I needed them fast , so I started looking around , wanted to try Race Driven , but delivery was weeks away so I contacted my local Suzuki dealer , they wanted 53 bucks per side and had no stock (big surprise 🤨) so then suggested an after market equivelent set of EBC severe duty, they were 58 bucks per side and still out of stock! I then went to my local Royal Distributing outlet , armed the the EBC part # the Suzuki dealer provided. Low and behold they had a set in stock for me and only 38 bucks per side ! I’ve used EBC on my BF in the past and had no issue with them so I was not concerned, plus they are better than the OEM I think. Then doing some more routine checks I stumbled across another issue... 1 worn front lower control arm rear bushing . My front left wheel (sitting on the bike) has slight in and out play, I 1st thought it was the wheel bearing but upon close examination I could see the play in the bushing not the bearing. Called my dealer to get the part but guess what??? Out of stock..lol. I order one , I think it was 30 bucks . Needless to say I cleaned all the bushings and put some grease best I could to help keep the grit out. I plan to install some grease zerks when I park it for the winter.

BRAKES

BUSHING

Reactions: John1960

·
Registered
191 Posts
That’s disappoi news on the bushing Zuuk. it doesn’t sound like horrible brake pad life though.

I have had good luck with the EBC line of brakes. Hopefully you will too.

Thanks for the heads up. I will need to keep an eye on my bushings now.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s disappoi news on the bushing Zuuk. it doesn’t sound like horrible brake pad life though.

I have had good luck with the EBC line of brakes. Hopefully you will too.

Thanks for the heads up. I will need to keep an eye on my bushings now.
Thanks John1960. I was surprised and disappointed to find the onset of wear on that bushing so early too, especially the way I maintain this machine and I’m no mudder. I do ride quit a bit so have a habit of checking things as frequently for early detection of any issues. I questioned warranty for s&g’s and got what I thought..(no). That being said, everything else has been rock solid so far.

Yeah, just over 4K KMS of stickly all-round trail riding isn’t too bad for OEM pads, the KQ awesome engine braking helps too.. EBC’s are working great , hoping to squeeze out another 4K at least😃

·
Registered
191 Posts
Out of all the ATVs I have owned, the 2020 KQ 750 has the best engine braking. I can’t help but feel that contributes to brake pad longevity. It’s not really neutral, like some people have described. It’s more a positive feel. You know when you are off that throttle. It is more than my 2009KQ and more than the Vinson.

It is funny to talk about being pleased with brake pads and tires lasting that long.
Imagine if our cars, trucks and SUVs brakes and tires delivered that type of longevity. Brake pads that cost $80 for the front end (parts only) and last 4,000km , or ~2,500 miles. Wow.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Some BMW motorcycle dealership uses EBC pads as well. They have different types of pads for different applications. They're used on a $30k, 200hp German motorcycle, so I'd guess EBC is quality.
Are these control arm bushings greased or dry? It may be simpler to use a dry bushing and replace them when needed. I'm not really sure if one is better for an atv?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Then doing some more routine checks I stumbled across another issue... 1 worn front lower control arm rear bushing . My front left wheel (sitting on the bike) has slight in and out play, I 1st thought it was the wheel bearing but upon close examination I could see the play in the bushing not the bearing
I've always been pleased with the performance of EBC brakes and in my experience they have always outlasted the OEM units and when mine needs new pads its the route I'm going as well. At least bushings are easy to replace compared to wheel bearings, do you lube your bushings at all?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree, EBC makes good pads (and rotors) , I’ve also had good luck them in the past and these Severe Duty (sintered) pads no doubt are working great on the KQ.

According the service manual , the upper control arm bushings requires grease(on re-assembly). That’s obviously a 1 time thing unless you put zerks in or disassemble.
The lower control arm bushing calls for no grease (its dry).
Since new , after ever ride I wash the unit down from top to bottom with soap and water ( (shocks, wheels, muffler , I mean everything) and use a light power washer . Then I dry everything and take it for spin to press all the water out. Then all the underneath gets a water resistance silcone coating ( can use WD 40 too) every bushing , every CVT boot, helps with lub and keeps mud and dirt from sticking also makes it easier to clean after.
My friends are always astonished at how my machine looks say the following week when we meet to ride again , even under the seat is clean .lol. but even with all that , I still had a bushing failure. Now I must admit , I do drive this thing harder than most probably. I hit rocks and debris (trees) on trail at good speed sometimes😃 , climbing hills , etc.. man these Kenda‘s are TOUGH!! so impressed with them in every situation , what an excellent well rounded trail tire.. So after this bushing failure, I applied marine grease to all the ends of bushing I could get too as a additional barrier to slow contamination...

I think adding grease zerks would prolong the life. I‘v seen a write up on NYROC from Glenlevit ( clutch guru) , hoping it applies to 2019 + KQ will need to verify.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm with you on cleaning after every ride and spaying lube on every moving part. I find the the dry bushing setup is common on the Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki utility quads and has held up well for me and others I ride with but we deal with more mud and work scenarios than fast paced riding. I'm guessing as you said that the hard impacts from rocks and such cause it to wear out sooner, if you want to hear of real bushing issues ask someone with a Can-Am utility quad. :LOL:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL,, Yeah your right , not complaining.. could be worse. my bushing finally came in , I will replace it in the following days and will share my findings (pics,etc..). I had to replace all the bushings on the Kawi , its bad, they actually use needle bearings in the front lower bushings which rust from water and dirt penetration over time , its a sloppy mess after that..

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys!! I made a mistake regarding my bushing needing to be replaced.
I overlooked the obvious but want to share this experience as it highlights the importance of periodically checking torque specs, in this case of suspension components..

Now.. I do often take off my skids off (love how easy the under belly stock skids are to remove) to clean and visually inspect things but my naked eye missed this one.

I took my front lower a-arm off to replace the rear bushing. I could not for the life of me detect any wear on it, whatsoever, thing was like new. Then it dawned on me that I never did check the torque spec 1st. So before I went ahead and pressed out a perfectly good bushing , I re-assembled everything and torqued every nut to spec. Low and behold, the slight play I noted previously was gone! Suffice to say, I went ahead and checked that every suspension nut was at spec. I love how Suzuki used blue loc tite on just about everything, but even with that , the 1 arm nut loosened slightly(remember all the rock I mentioned riding in😁)

I’m very happy about this , as I was a little dissapointed that a Suzuki bushing would have worn so fast..

I will keep the new bushing , in case I need it in like 5 years..lol. It was 27 bucks..
I attached a pic of the new one in case anyone is wondering how it looks..

Happy trails all !!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's great it worked out for you and no doubt saved you some time too. I pull skids and wheels off mine from time to time to make sure nothing has worked its way into spots it shouldn't be. I usually check torque on various bolts at that time, its good peace of mind if nothing else and doesn't take long.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Js7FIFTY, yeah sure did save some time and at least I got check the ball joints too Hahaha (they were in great shape) . Yep me too but bad boy.. I had not checked the torque since last year and my visual inspection could not detect a thread or 2 had backed out. I will now increase my torque check intervals , especially since I have increased my riding in rougher terrain.

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts