Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know I’m asking this a little earlier than expected. But I’m looking for some good suggestions on front and rear bumpers for my 2019 KQ 750. Are the Suzuki bumpers a good choice or are their better alternatives out there..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I personally liked the looks of the factory Suzuki bumper and put a order in for the front before picking up my quad. It doesn't offer as much protection as some of the aftermarket ones like ATV Guru but I'm fine with that. I've noticed the rear factory bumper seems to show two different designs, the stock photo shows a bar is going by the rear light and others I've seen from dealers where it doesn't.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I really like the look of the OEM bumpers on the bike , but they are very expensive.
They may not offer the most overall protection but are still well made and tough nonetheless. my second , more cost effective choice would be ATV Guru. Since I already
bought the OEM front bumper when I got the bike last year, I recently ordered the OEM rear bumper to suite. But its on back order just like the front was last year. Suzuki seems to have hard time stocking them ( at least in Canada).

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your fine with ordering through the US and having it shipped then Oneida Suzuki in NY has the front bumper for $199 and rear for $179 which puts in on par with ATV-Guru cost wise. I was also thinking of getting the rear factory Suzuki rear bumper but it looked like it would make it harder to access the storage boxes. Also these are photos from two different Canadian dealers showing the Suzuki rear bumper, you can see the difference from the stock photos Suzuki uses.
Bumper psot_2_resize.jpg Bumper psot_1_resize.jpg

·
Registered
530 Posts
it looks cheaper but to ship it to me from Oneida is $448 bucks so the total cost for the rear bumper ends up being $628. Last time I checked ATV Guru was about half the price with shipping. I ordered the rear bumper from my local dealer for $370.
From your photos , looks like Suzuki must have made a revision to their rear bumper in 2020. That one was not a availble last year. Not sure if it has anything to do with offering a new rugged edition ( comes with front and rear bumper) in 2020, that was also not available on a 2019. The new one looks to allow easier access to the center storage.I wonder If that’s the one they will send me ..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I didn't want to mess with exchange/shipping so also ordered mine through the dealer as well. It will be interesting to see which one you get and if it makes getting into the storage boxes harder.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When you ordered them through the dealer I’m assuming your talking about the Suzuki bumpers. If if get aftermarket bumpers I’d like to get some within Canada. It just by the time you pay taxes border fees it costs almost $100 - $200 more then buying Suzuki bumpers or some within Canada. As for this Atv Guru, is it an American site or both American/Canadian..?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I didn't want to mess with exchange/shipping so also ordered mine through the dealer as well. It will be interesting to see which one you get and if it makes getting into the storage boxes harder.
Right. for OEM it would cost ya more to ship it from US than just getting from the dealer in this case.
Yeah I wonder , although I’m not too concerned about accessing the storage box even if I end up with the original version. I will let ya know but it‘ll probably be months before I get it (backorder)... fingers crossed..

·
Registered
530 Posts
When you ordered them through the dealer I’m assuming your talking about the Suzuki bumpers. If if get aftermarket bumpers I’d like to get some within Canada. It just by the time you pay taxes border fees it costs almost $100 - $200 more then buying Suzuki bumpers or some within Canada. As for this Atv Guru, is it an American site or both American/Canadian..?

Yes, ordered the Suzuki OEM bumper through the dealer. Yep exactly, when you add the shipping and customs cost to some items , it’s just not worth getting from the US.
ATV Guru is US, but I recall they had a comparable cost with shipping to CAN, you’d have to give them a call to confirm.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Zuuk. I know I asked this question a little earlier then expected. Was mostly curious as to what my options were. Also the bumpers a little more pricey then I expected so I may just wait till next year. I’ll probably end up getting some tires first before bumpers. Kinda leaning towards the Bear Claw HTR’s. I have the original Bear Claws on my 300 (K299’s) and love them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No probs Aj. Yeah, makes sense. I think tires are arguably the best 1st thing to upgrade, it drastically improves so much of the ride (traction,handling, braking,etc..) and I love the HTRs. You probably also already considered upgrading the air filter too , UNI or twin air are most popular for KQs and offer better filtration for the motor than stock. Depending on where u ride , another essential for me was the a-arm guards, as I mentioned in other posts , they do very little to protect the a-arm frames and surrounding vital components (drain well tho 😁). I actually like the rest of the underbody OEM skids they are holding up well , drain well and nice and easy to remove for any maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Where’d you buy the UNI air filter Zuuk..? I actually totally forgot about that. I must be loosing it, lol. That was another thing I actually wanted to change as well now that you kindly reminded me. I mostly trail ride, like 95% of the time. So during the summer it can get pretty dusty. As for arm guards, yeah I looked at that. Wasn’t to keen on them being plastic. Figured one good shot from a log or rock and I’m busting something. So if you have a good suggestion for arm guards judging by your pics I’d appreciate your input. As for the stock tires. They’re ok, but they feel a little squirrrely when steering at higher speeds. Also doesn’t feel like I have a good solid footprint if that makes any sense. Maybe I’m just use to driving my 300 which is lower to the ground. I don’t know.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hahaha. Here ya go buddy.. Amazon.ca. Free shipping.

Yeah, I get it, I purchased my KQ for pure recreation , 100% trail riding in our vast and very diverse multi-trail systems .
For the a-arm guards its not that the HDPE ‘type‘ material Suzuki uses is not tough they are and will not shatter when presented with rock, believe me , the under belly skids are made of the same material and I got some nice rock beatings on them(not on purpose!) yet when I take them off to change oils (which btw ya don’t have to cuz all drain holes are there) or do other maintenance..frame is untouched. Its the fact that the stock a-arm guards particularly, do not even protect the metal a-arm frame from rock rash, much less other vital surrounding, like CV boots. Nothing is prefect but prevention is a pound of cure right🤔
I purchased the aluminum a-arm guards on eBay for $150 for the whole set when I bought the bike , unfortunately they are no longer available.

For the future when I have to replace my skids , I would go plastic type HDPE or LDPE over aluminum fore sure.
Why?? Because they slide way better over rock or any surface , usually are lighter, are really tough and have way better self healing properties over aluminum. I already had to reshape 2 of my aluminium a-arms guards ( yeah , I hit rock! our trail systems are diverse😁).
The only downfall I see right now of any aftermarket skids, aluminum or plastic, is that they do not seem to drain as well as OEM and cannot be removed as easily as OEM (why I’m in no rush to replace OEM underbelly skids, they’re hanging tough! )

For sure, the tires for me and my use where soooo mushy, even at the stiffest preload setting and max tire pressure! Any quality tire upgrade will be such an improvement and much more reliable for trail riding( especially with wifey on the back 🤫)

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank Zuuk. I just ordered the UNI filter from the link you provided. Also ordered one of these:

Figured why not seeing the bike has a lot of these push pins and the kit comes with the tool. Or if doesn’t work for that I can always use them on my vehicles. As for the UNI filter, anything else I need to do like oil it..? If so, how should I go about oiling it and what type of oil should I use..? I have a K&N air filter in my 300. I’ve cleaned and oiled that one a few times. It’s K&N filter oil and all I have to do is spray coat it. And I’m assuming changing the air filter won’t void my warranty..?

·
Registered
530 Posts
AJ , your pretty particular eh😁 ? I just happen to have a similar kit when I bought the machine for that very reason. Lol. Replaced many on cars from past..

Yes for oil get the UNI filter oil. You can get from Royal Distributing, Revco or Fortnine .. all Canadian , not sure of shipping right now but check.

For warranty, it’s not on us. If u go to the Uni website , they recommend this model for our KQs.. . I can plainly see the diff too and I have just under 2 yrs left of Warranty.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes, unfortunately I am, lol. I’m real picky when it comes to certain things. I figure we spend enough money for some things the least we could do is use high end stuff like filters/oils etc. And that kit I seen while browsing for something else and thought to myself, hey that would be great for the quad, lol. And I’m not use to all these panels, lol. I actually should start familiarizing myself on how to remove some of the panels to access certain things like the air filter, rad, spark plug, etc. Heck, I haven’t even looked under the seat yet, . I’ve been more focused lately on breaking it in more then anything else, lol. And yes, I’ve been following the recommended break in procedures per the owners manual. Variating speeds and not going past half throttle for the first 10 hours with moderately hard accelerations. Figured engineers know what their doing for a reason right. And stupid question, where do you mount the license plate..? When I had picked up my quad the mto hadn’t sent him the plate/ownership yet. Said I should get it by this week in the mail. Just thought I’d ask because I looked but didn’t see a specific spot for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
UNI or twin air are most popular for KQs and offer better filtration for the motor than stock.
How does your UNI fit, I was all set to buy one till I read how a number of people on the forum had fit issues. I've been trying to see if its still a issue, currently my dealer is out of stock of both UNI and Twin Air. I've used UNI for many years on other quads and never had a issue.

And stupid question, where do you mount the license plate..?
In the 2018 and older it looks like it went in rear of the quad below the rack where the new storage box is on the 2019+. I asked the dealership about it when I picked mine up Saturday and was told most just mount it wherever they can find a spot, in the mean time I just zip tied mine to the rear rack till I get pickup a atv plate holder. Regarding air-filter oil I use Bel-Ray, have for as long as I can remember and never had issues. If you like to clean it often I would pass the sprays and get the bottle, they sprays seem to run out way to quick.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes, unfortunately I am, lol. I’m real picky when it comes to certain things. I figure we spend enough money for some things the least we could do is use high end stuff like filters/oils etc. And that kit I seen while browsing for something else and thought to myself, hey that would be great for the quad, lol. And I’m not use to all these panels, lol. I actually should start familiarizing myself on how to remove some of the panels to access certain things like the air filter, rad, spark plug, etc. Heck, I haven’t even looked under the seat yet, . I’ve been more focused lately on breaking it in more then anything else, lol. And yes, I’ve been following the recommended break in procedures per the owners manual. Variating speeds and not going past half throttle for the first 10 hours with moderately hard accelerations. Figured engineers know what their doing for a reason right. And stupid question, where do you mount the license plate..? When I had picked up my quad the mto hadn’t sent him the plate/ownership yet. Said I should get it by this week in the mail. Just thought I’d ask because I looked but didn’t see a specific spot for it.
LOL! Yeah I hear ya , yeah brake it in as prescribed , Suzuki engineers can‘t be wrong. I’m very particular too. As a matter of fact I took off all my plastics off when I bought the bike to familiarize myself too and die electric and rubberize every connection I could my hands on and rust proofed the frame.. lol ( I know I’m crazy I attached a pic of under my seat from all that) . I initially did not like the thought of the push fasteners but I actually see the value now, as they’ll pop before tearing the body work and I could strip the bike faster than if it had screws everywhere, yet the fit and finish is solid.
For the license plate I just zip tied it (4 ties) to where the accessory mud flaps would go(see pic) for now until I fabricate something proper, there does not seem to be any particular holder provided by Suzuki.

How does your UNI fit, I was all set to buy one till I read how a number of people on the forum had fit issues. I've been trying to see if its still a issue, currently my dealer is out of stock of both UNI and Twin Air. I've used UNI for many years on other quads and never had a issue.

Uni fits very well, No issue , much better than stock, highly recommend!

In the 2018 and older it looks like it went in rear of the quad below the rack where the new storage box is on the 2019+. I asked the dealership about it when I picked mine up Saturday and was told most just mount it wherever they can find a spot, in the mean time I just zip tied mine to the rear rack till I get pickup a atv plate holder. Regarding air-filter oil I use Bel-Ray, have for as long as I can remember and never had issues. If you like to clean it often I would pass the sprays and get the bottle, they sprays seem to run out way to quick.
Yep find a spot for plate(see pic). Bel Ray is also great as a filter oil and yeah for sure the bottle lasts way longer the spray

PLATE

BEING ANAL😆

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Zuuk, that's great they seemed to get the fit issue sorted out on the UNI filter, I was also wondering if you saw the accessory wires near the light pod when you had it all apart, I tried to look for them with the plastics on but didn't see them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No worries. Yes , the only accessory wires right by the pod I’ve seen (2 bullet connectors) is for a horn option apparently.. according to my service manual but they do not have power (I tested both hoping to tie my light-bar in)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts