Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out on a run yesterday on my 2016 kingquad 500(10,000km on it) just driving down a dirt road and all a sudden I heard a terrible grinding noise and then it stopped delivering power to the wheels(engine will still rev) so i put it in neutral and back into high and it worked like a charm for about 100km of hard riding before it started doing it much more frequently. The grinding noise i first got turned into more of a POP then no power to the wheels. I limped it out of the woods in 4x4 which allowed me to do about 20km/h before popping out of gear again, where as in rear wheel ide be lucky to get 5km/h before it popped out. After it pops out it almost sounds like a loose chain hanging and dragging on something

I looked around the internet and couldnt find anything about it so i figured this would be the place somebody is most likely to know something about these transmissions(or maybe rear diff?)...

I really dont want to take it to the stealership But at the same time i dont wanna tear into something thats gonna fly apart and leave me trying to magnet parts off the shop floor

Any insight will be MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
530 Posts
For the CVT (see pic) sounds like you need to check it. take the footwell off and the bracket , then you can easily remove the CVT cover and examine it, maybe need some cleaning of sheaves and rollers,etc.. and u should probably change the belt anyway.. lots of vids on this available online.. maybe start there..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was out on a run yesterday on my 2016 kingquad 500(10,000km on it) just driving down a dirt road and all a sudden I heard a terrible grinding noise and then it stopped delivering power to the wheels(engine will still rev) so i put it in neutral and back into high and it worked like a charm for about 100km of hard riding before it started doing it much more frequently. The grinding noise i first got turned into more of a POP then no power to the wheels. I limped it out of the woods in 4x4 which allowed me to do about 20km/h before popping out of gear again, where as in rear wheel ide be lucky to get 5km/h before it popped out. After it pops out it almost sounds like a loose chain hanging and dragging on something

I looked around the internet and couldnt find anything about it so i figured this would be the place somebody is most likely to know something about these transmissions(or maybe rear diff?)...

I really dont want to take it to the stealership But at the same time i dont wanna tear into something thats gonna fly apart and leave me trying to magnet parts off the shop floor

Any insight will be MUCH appreciated!
For the CVT (see pic) sounds like you need to check it. take the footwell off and the bracket , then you can easily remove the CVT cover and examine it, maybe need some cleaning of sheaves and rollers,etc.. and u should probably change the belt anyway.. lots of vids on this available online.. maybe start there.. View attachment 19643
Thanks for the reply. I will tear into the cvt again tomorrow.

Around 500km ago I did new extreme duty belt, the sheeves were shiney so i hit them with wet 1000grit sandpaper and got them looking like new. I also did a full EPI mudder clutch kit including the wet clutch stall springs at the same time(to turn 28inch mega mayhems).

I really do hope your right though and it turns out to be the cvt so i dont have to get into anything major

·
Registered
530 Posts
oh man, I did not realize you already serviced the CVT, u changed the wet clutch springs and the secondary spring? unless u sunk it , assuming you put things back the way you found it , 500km should not be enough to need any maintenance at this point. None the less good worth a look now .. let us know how it goes.. thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh man, I did not realize you already serviced the CVT, u changed the wet clutch springs and the secondary spring? unless u sunk it , assuming you put things back the way you found it , 500km should not be enough to need any maintenance at this point. None the less good worth a look now .. let us know how it goes.. thanks
Yeah i put in wet clutch springs, secondary spring, and the roller weights in the primary. I made 100% sure everything went back together right and red loc-tite'd all bolts to torque spec. Unless one of the clutch springs broke or somethin I figure my issue is back past the cvt.

Ill keep updates comin as I rip into it tomorrow

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ok man , yeah keep us posted. Hope it’s not too bad .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got the cvt opened up today. All was fine except for the one way bearing on front of the wet clutch. It is completely destroyed.

Once the new bearing comes in ill update again if it actually fixes the issue.

·
Registered
530 Posts
alright doesn’t sound too bad but gotta wonder what caused the destruction of the bearing after the upgrades..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to one of the mechanics at my local dealer and he said its probably my tires and lift adding strain after the clutch upgrades because theres less power loss in the cvt. Idk if i believe thats the only problem, but it does seem to make sense. I admit I ride it really hard(some might call it abuse) so if thats all the internal damage ill be pretty pumped

If I keep shredding them ill just have to bulk buy them I guess

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Yeah that’s the thing about modifying, tweak this , break that or at the very least increase maintenance intervals. Your standard drivetrain and suspension components are also getting added strain from bigger tires and lift, keep that in mind too.

Good luck man, hopefully it’s just a bearing.
Spring is around the corner and I’m pumped for the trails to open around here (May 1st) !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I replaced the bear and it didnt fix the issue. Split the engine and everything looked alright. Noticed when I got the engine back together the motor mounts are slopped out pretty bad. Read into it and it turns out the kingquads have been known for bad motor mounts causing the rear drive shaft to disengage/slip when the engine twists back. Waiting on motor mount rubbers now then ill update AGAIN once theyre installed

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wow, you been busy .Well ya had to change the bearing anyway,since it was fried. Yes, I also read that motor mounts go bad. maybe reasonable wear on a abused 2016 with 10k KMs ?. Good you seen the mounts were bad and needed replacing. Keep us posted.
Cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, you been busy .Well ya had to change the bearing anyway,since it was fried. Yes, I also read that motor mounts go bad. maybe reasonable wear on a abused 2016 with 10k KMs ?. Good you seen the mounts were bad and needed replacing. Keep us posted.
Cheers!
Haha yeah, i havnt been workin alot due to the whole covid thing so i have had plenty of time to work on the bike. Might even wash it one of these days.

·
Registered
530 Posts
LOL! Hear that . I can still work from home, very fortunate in these times.. and my bike is clean and is ready to get dutty ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure how I missed this one, I had the same issue, there is a thread here for it. I didn't have bad mounts or a bent frame. But I took mine to the dealership and he was puzzled and then recalled how he had a customer with a bent frame with this issue. He checked my frame, wasn't bent, then he checked the spring that keeps the drive shaft in the rear and it was compressed more than it should be. Be fixed it and the issue has never returned.

Might want to check that spring for being in spec too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure how I missed this one, I had the same issue, there is a thread here for it. I didn't have bad mounts or a bent frame. But I took mine to the dealership and he was puzzled and then recalled how he had a customer with a bent frame with this issue. He checked my frame, wasn't bent, then he checked the spring that keeps the drive shaft in the rear and it was compressed more than it should be. Be fixed it and the issue has never returned.

Might want to check that spring for being in spec too.

Thank you for the insight. I never considered a bent frame at all, but mine could very well be bent considering its tumbled down hills and smashed through a few 3" trees. On the other hand. Is the spring your explaining the one about half way through the rear driveshaft? That one seemed pretty strong when i pulled the motor. But ill definitely be checking it before i plop the motor back in with the new mounts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's about length not strength. I don't know what the deal was with mine as my frame isn't bent and my mounts were good but all the guy did was stretch it out a little and all was good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts