Suzuki ATV Forum banner
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  John1960 
#1 ·
About 1.5 years ago I rolled my 2016 750 AXI with power steering. It did not roll multiple times and I was not going very fast. I was doing doughnuts on a patch of snow when the quad drifted off and hit the dirt. As soon as it hit the dirt it threw me off and turned upside down. With an injured shoulder (Grade 4 AC Separation...lol), I was able to flip it back onto its wheels with only one usable arm and my superhuman strength (Joke), and get it home. After healing from my surgery, and repairing the broken mirror, I inspected the quad. Everything seemed straight, and I rode the quad for several months with zero issues. About 3 months later, it started to pull to the right. I checked tire air pressure regularly and eventually performed a "string method" alignment. It was out slightly and the adjustments I made did make a difference, but it was not perfect. After that it seemed to slowly get worse. So I took it to a reputable repair shop and he told me that the Suzuki power steering system had a "Return to Center" function in the computer system that was required by law on all power steering systems and it needed to be "Reset" with a computer and that only a Suzuki dealer could perform the "reset". He said the reason it was fine for 3 months and slowly progressed was because the rollover knocked something probably just a little out of whack and the computer was slowly compensating for it. So, I took it to our local Suzuki dealer and explained all of the above to the service manager. Long story short, after they had it for 3 weeks, they told me that there is no "reset" at all and that they hooked up their computer to it and all the voltages and everything they could check were within factory specs. The repair tech also told me that they tried to contact Suzuki, but they had to wait on the phone for an hour only to be connected with the wrong person, but they would keep trying. They also did an alignment on it and just kept tweaking it till they thought it was right. So, they called me and told me it was "pretty good", and they thought I would be happy with it and to come pick it up. I rode it before taking it home and told them it still wasn't correct, although it was considerably better than when I left it with them. I talked with the tech again and asked him if he ever got a hold of the "right" person at Suzuki and he avoided the question and just said "there is no way to reset anything with a computer on the power steering system"... They charged me $300 and I could clearly see they had no desire to truly get to the bottom of the issue. Considering how much time they seemed to spend on it I felt that $300 was fair. After all I walked up expecting to get a bill for like $1000 or something ridiculous like that. So, I paid the bill and took the quad home.

Any insight to any aspect of this description of problems above would be greatly appreciated as I love the quad. It's just annoying to have it constantly pulling to the right and getting conflicting stories from different shops. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
That's all very interesting. So, after going thru the Factory OEM Suzuki Service manual for the 2019 - up 750 ... in the Power Assisted Steering System section, there does not appear to be any way to plug into the EPS system for resetting. The system will only record DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) if it is malfunctioning in some area and then there are procedures in place to address each and any one of those DTC codes it is throwing.... almost every one of them has to do with checking voltages in different areas which is what you said the second shop checked. There are 14 different "C-1111" codes that relate to power steering issues and they would only show up on the dash by jumping into dealer mode using either the toggle switch or the paper clip trick. There is no way to "Re-set" or actually even "Talk" to the EPS control box unit..... based on the service manual I am looking at. Maybe there is a behind the scenes secret handshake type thing only well trained Suzuki Techs have that isn't in the service manual regarding this.

I did find this little bit in the manual relating to centering, left turning and right turning which seems to have some kind of bearing on the issue you were having. It's an interesting read anyway.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

#3 ·
That's all very interesting. So, after going thru the Factory OEM Suzuki Service manual for the 2019 - up 750 ... in the Power Assisted Steering System section, there does not appear to be any way to plug into the EPS system for resetting. The system will only record DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) if it is malfunctioning in some area and then there are procedures in place to address each and any one of those DTC codes it is throwing.... almost every one of them has to do with checking voltages in different areas which is what you said the second shop checked. There are 14 different "C-1111" codes that relate to power steering issues and they would only show up on the dash by jumping into dealer mode using either the toggle switch or the paper clip trick. There is no way to "Re-set" or actually even "Talk" to the EPS control box unit..... based on the service manual I am looking at. Maybe there is a behind the scenes secret handshake type thing only well trained Suzuki Techs have that isn't in the service manual regarding this.

I did find this little bit in the manual relating to centering, left turning and right turning which seems to have some kind of bearing on the issue you were having. It's an interesting read anyway.

View attachment 22505
Thanks for this! Very helpful! On another forum someone mentioned that if car tires have a ply separation it can affect alignment, or cause the car to pull to one side or another. So, after pulling the eps fuse and having the problem actually get worse, and confirming here, and the other forum, that there is in fact not a reset function, and the dealer confirming that all the voltages show that the power steering system is functioning as it should, I determined it is not a power steering issue. I swapped the two front tires as they are non-directional and the quad now pulls to the left! Not as bad as it does to the right, but nonetheless there is a detectable slight pull to the left. The exact opposite. As the tires I have are radial tires, I can only make the determination that it is tire related! That would also explain the gradual worsening of the problem. As the plies slowly separate, the problem would get worse! So, I guess I'm in the market for a new pair of front tires! Hopefully this problem is now resolved! Whew!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.