Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2015 King Quad 750 has been down for awhile with this issue I'll explain. With nobody to ride with anymore, and family, I've let it sit in the shed. Out of sight out of mind. The thing only has like a hundred miles on it and I bought it new.

Last fall, I went out to ride some trails and it did fine. Some time after that ride, I fired it up to plow my driveway. It was running fine, but started acting up where I would come to a stop and it would die. I would have to keep on the throttle or it would die. It would fire up after cranking for some time. It would start up multiple times, until it just wouldn't on that same day.

I tried replacing the plugs. It didn't work. I tore it apart, and replaced the filthy fuel filter. Tried to start it, nothing but cranking. It would give me the occasional backfire a couple times.

Let it sit.

So today I go out to work on it, see if I can finally track it down. I'm thinking clogged fuel injector due to the dirty fuel filter. I pull it and clean it. It's giving me a nice atomization and spray pattern now. Put it in and nothing but cranking. I pull the right side plug and both wires. Put the plug in each wire and crank it to check the spark. Looks like I'm getting good spark. I did notice that the right side plug was dry even though I had been cranking it with the fuel injector installed and fuel hooked up. I thought that was odd. I then removed the valve cover and checked valve clearances and those all checked out. I'm at a loss. Besides doing a compression test, which putting my finger over the right side spark plug hole I could feel the compression though obviously can't tell how much I'm getting. I mean is compression my only culprit now? Could the ECU still send out for spark and fuel if it's bad? I mean I know the injector was spraying because I hooked it up to the fuel line prior to installing it back in the motor and cranked the engine.

Here are my thoughts, and any advice or input is greatly appreciated:
1. Piston and/or rings are shot. But at 100 miles??
2. ECU?
3. Somehow out of time?
Other notes, there are no codes, I did the pin trick to verify there were no codes. TPS is also where it should be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So my 2015 King Quad 750 has been down for awhile with this issue I'll explain. With nobody to ride with anymore, and family, I've let it sit in the shed. Out of sight out of mind. The thing only has like a hundred miles on it and I bought it new.

Last fall, I went out to ride some trails and it did fine. Some time after that ride, I fired it up to plow my driveway. It was running fine, but started acting up where I would come to a stop and it would die. I would have to keep on the throttle or it would die. It would fire up after cranking for some time. It would start up multiple times, until it just wouldn't on that same day.

I tried replacing the plugs. It didn't work. I tore it apart, and replaced the filthy fuel filter. Tried to start it, nothing but cranking. It would give me the occasional backfire a couple times.

Let it sit.

So today I go out to work on it, see if I can finally track it down. I'm thinking clogged fuel injector due to the dirty fuel filter. I pull it and clean it. It's giving me a nice atomization and spray pattern now. Put it in and nothing but cranking. I pull the right side plug and both wires. Put the plug in each wire and crank it to check the spark. Looks like I'm getting good spark. I did notice that the right side plug was dry even though I had been cranking it with the fuel injector installed and fuel hooked up. I thought that was odd. I then removed the valve cover and checked valve clearances and those all checked out. I'm at a loss. Besides doing a compression test, which putting my finger over the right side spark plug hole I could feel the compression though obviously can't tell how much I'm getting. I mean is compression my only culprit now? Could the ECU still send out for spark and fuel if it's bad? I mean I know the injector was spraying because I hooked it up to the fuel line prior to installing it back in the motor and cranked the engine.

Here are my thoughts, and any advice or input is greatly appreciated:
1. Piston and/or rings are shot. But at 100 miles??
2. ECU?
3. Somehow out of time?
Other notes, there are no codes, I did the pin trick to verify there were no codes. TPS is also where it should be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
1KQ5, I am having pretty much the same issue with my 2017 KQ400. Starts on a dime once I've had it running, but it's harder and harder to get going with each cold start.

While it does seem to crank a little slower than I believe it should, it always started after five or six revolutions, provided I used the choke and had waited for all but the neutral light to go out. This morning I'm going to syphen the furl out of the tank, and replace it with fresh, and Sta Bil Marine, which I neglected to add last hunting season. I'm hoping the fuel simply went stale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1KQ5, I am having pretty much the same issue with my 2017 KQ400. Starts on a dime once I've had it running, but it's harder and harder to get going with each cold start.

While it does seem to crank a little slower than I believe it should, it always started after five or six revolutions, provided I used the choke and had waited for all but the neutral light to go out. This morning I'm going to syphen the furl out of the tank, and replace it with fresh, and Sta Bil Marine, which I neglected to add last hunting season. I'm hoping the fuel simply went stale.
1KQ5, Hi, back again.

I syphoned out the "old" gas and brought the quad over to the filling station for a four gallon fresh fill up, but with premium for the first time ever, and some Sta Bil Marine (the stuff with the cleaners). Got back, and had a littlte problem getting it to crank & start so I could run out the old fuel in the lines. Ran it for about 10 minutes, shut it down and let it sit for about 8 hours, and the ambient temperature also dropped about 15 degrees.

I don't understand if it's just fresh gasoline, or the idea of premium fuel, but I turned on the ignition, waited flor the fuel pump to do its thing, engaged the choke all the way and pushed the button. INSTANTLY RUNNING!!!!! She never started this fast before. I would say it's worth giving it a try in your quad. Worst that can happen is you have extra gas for the lawnmower. Good luck!

The Old Man

1 - 3 of 3 Posts