Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv only had the quad for about a month but love it , it's the power steering model I'm still having some issues with my gas mileage I'm only getting about 10 mpg but twice now while out riding the temp lite came on I shut it down for about 15 min both times and it was good the lite stayed off after that . The fan is working and when I got it I drained and flushed the cooling system . I took it out twice this week the first time I was out for about 20 min when it came on it was 45 degrees out I was in high Gear going a steady 20 mph . The second time I took it out I was riding for almost 4 hours and the lite never came on . I know the battery is weak could that cause the lite to come on ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would check the thermostat first to see if its gummed up at all. If it even looks a bit dirty just replace it. Its pretty hard to tell if one is faulty or not just looking and poking at it (especially if its intermittent). As far as the fuel milage, I did some conversions and i get roughly 80 miles per tank of supreme on my 2016 500 king (bombing through open trails, not mudding). It seems weird your consumption is that high on a fuel injected machine. Considering you got it second hand im wondering if a previous owner swapped in a gsxr injector for some added awesomeness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iRip .thanks ill check the thermostat . I had it out yesterday and the temp light came on less then 2 miles into my ride the return hose was not hot at all . I hate that there's no temp reading on the dash so I could tell what the temp reading really is . As for the injector the quad is stock the last owner bought it new and never added anything just a few cosmetic items . I asked the last owner what kind of mpg he was getting and he said between 60 and 70 miles per tank so that would be roughly 13 mpg Iam getting less then 10 mpg which sucks when I want to go on a long ride I have to bring extra gas with me .

·
Registered
530 Posts
Also, for temp issue, aside from thermostat mentioned by iRip, assume your rad is clean , you mentioned you flushed it, did you make sure no air is the system, that would def cause temp light. Poor fuel consumption, did start with the basics , air filter clean, spark plug good , I know u said it runs good but dbl check the throttle body boot under the air cleaner , to make its on good , just to cross off the basics..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zuuk. No I did not bleed the system because I can not find anywhere to bleed it . My poliars ace has a air bleed screw at the thermostat but I don't see one anywhere on the king quad aim I missing it ? And when I replaced the air filter I checked the boot and it looked in good shape .

·
Registered
530 Posts
ok filter good, boot good ,spark plug good.. nice

You can bleed air from the radiator cap. see pic of instructions for ”Engine Coolant Replacement“ including bleeding on my 19 750, your is same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there's no bleed screw ? You just let the air bleed up through the system and out the radiator opening . I will try it . Iam thinking it has to be that our the thermostat because how the light comes on so fast sometimes it's come on only after 10 min of running no way it could heat up that fast in 45 degree weather .

·
Registered
530 Posts
yep just through the cap, like how we used to do our muscle cars?. Yeah could def be the thermostat , if you leave it running long enough with cap off you‘ll see it should open at 80.5-83.5 dc (176.9-182.3 df). If you wanna test the thermo stat , let me know I can pass the instructions from the shop manual If you need it. Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zuuk. I let it run for a while and saw a bunch of air come up . I took it out the next day no problem . The following day my son was on it and the light came on less then 5 min into the ride . This might be a stupid question but were is the thermostat located ,what I thought was the thermostat was the water pump which I checked and is working fine . I picked up a new thermostat I just can't see we're it goes .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took another look and found the thermostat the temp sensor is right there to . I will change the thermostat out tomorrow and see what that does . They don't make this machine's easy to work on . i could not believe how hard it was to change out the park plug

·
Registered
530 Posts
I took another look and found the thermostat the temp sensor is right there to . I will change the thermostat out tomorrow and see what that does . They don't make this machine's easy to work on . i could not believe how hard it was to change out the park plug
Ok great, gotta be the stat. Let us know how it goes.
Really eh? one of the reasons I purchased the King was because of the way things are laid out and are accessible , making doing maintenance easy for the DYIer... ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your right when it comes to changing the fluids . Oil and filter front and rear gear oil are all simple but the spark plug is a pain in the ass to get at .

·
Registered
530 Posts
hahahaa, I hear ya, not sure how it looks on your 2011. 1 of 2 plugs on my old brute was a pain in @$$, but thats about it tho.. on this new king I can easily change the 1 plug on the side (don’t need to yet) but the other on in the front may be a little tricker but not too bad..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts