Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband bought me a kq400 and I’m new to the whole 4wheeler thing and I LOVE it other then need some questions answered hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction !!
anyways I recently purchased a used kq 400 a couple of months ago it ran perfect until a few rides ago. First thing I did when I got it home was oil change new oil filter and new air filter drove it around no problems at all for a few weeks then 💥 bam! I’m having issues!! Started off by after a few hrs of riding (it doesn’t matter if we are going slow or fast in sand or mud or regular roads)it will shut it’s self off no warning lights (fan works I’ve seen it in action) I’m running top grade for fuel. when it shuts off I can NOT get it to start right back up no matter if I have choke all the way or not I have to let it sit for a while (cool off even if the bike itself is not hot) then it will start just fine longer you let it set after it shuts its set off the longer you get to ride before it shuts off again. Sometimes I’ll be riding along and I lose “power” unless I feather the gas at all different intervals then it acts like the belt is slipping but then all the sudden she grabs hold and runs normal again for a bit by time it does it again I’m so irritated I just load up my kq and go home!
Since I have purchased the bike I have bought and replaced the following:
drained and replaced gas and cleaned out the tank
Front and rear brakes
Rear diff oil
Front diff oil
Motor oil and filter (2x)
Axle boot
Battery
Belt
I’ve cleaned all connections under the seat and added dielectric to them.
After all that I took it for a spin around the neighborhood to start the break in process of the new belt but I still have the issue!!
btw I have no manual
I’m at a loss I need some advice please!

·
Registered
15 Posts
When it dies, does it sputter choke and die or just like shutting the key off it dies. I would say first thing to check would be to pull the spark plug right after it quits and see if you have spark. That will narrow it down to fuel or electrical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll check that when it stops raining and I can actually get out for a ride.
But most of the time when it happens it just bogs down and dies unless I can feather just right and that only works about 50% of the time if that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts