Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...New to the forum.
I have a 2007 King Quad 450. It has been a great machine. Just recently, When I try to start it the Relay Assy (part# 31800-41G10) starts clicking but it won't turn over. I have plenty of juice from the battery. I can pull start it. It tries to turn over at the beginning and then it's just the Relay Assy clicking. Anyone had this issue? Wonder if the Relay Assy needs replaced or is it something else...? I checked all the fuses and they're good.
Appreciate any suggestions...
David

·
Super Moderator
7,625 Posts
Try lightly tapping the relay with the handle of a screwdriver while cranking the engine. If it catches then the relay is faulty and needs replacing. Also make sure all your connections are clean and corrosion free. Including any grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...I should have indicated initially--did that (thumped it with my finger a few times while trying to start). Also, checked all connectors--nothing showing corrosion. When I initially tried to start it-it struggled and eventually started. I let it run for a while and then tried a restart and the clicking from the relay assy was prominent and that's all I would get. I keep my KQ on a tender and know I have plenty of juice.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I should have indicated initially--did that (thumped it with my finger a few times while trying to start). Also, checked all connectors--nothing showing corrosion. When I initially tried to start it-it struggled and eventually started. I let it run for a while and then tried a restart and the clicking from the relay assy was prominent and that's all I would get. I keep my KQ on a tender and know I have plenty of juice.

Just because you keep it on a tender and it shows to have 12+ volts does not mean it is good....the starter needs AMPS to work and a bad battery can show good voltage with very weak amperage.....thus the clicking.
It could be bad connections or a bad relay ,solenoid.....I would load test the battery first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last evening tried starting it (4 times) and it had no issues. Now I'm confused. Agree, will put a load on the battery and see. Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same KQ 450 2007 and an 08. My 07 had issues right from new with charging system. Went through a battery a year. Every time I checked charging it would be 14volts. once or twice I checked and was low charging voltage. I had the recall done for the ignition wiring (connection at key switch) so wasn't expecting it. Finally took it back after going through so many batteries and trying different options from forums, they traced it to the connection at key switch again. Of coarse it wasn't covered as it was 8 years after warranty. Just a thought you may want to check that connection as it interferes with charging system if its corroded or dirty. I don't know if this is going to help but thought I'd throw it out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts