Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 2006 Ozark that wont start. My first thought was that is is not getting a spark so I pulled the plug and checked it with the electric starter and got a spark. The plug was wet so I knew it was getting fuel and I also checked the air filter and saw no problems. I looked into it further and tried to start it a few more times and noticed that it would try to start but as soon as I released the starter button the quad would die. This made me think that something is preventing a spark unless it is generated by the starter switch. To test this I pulled the plug again and checked it with the pull start and did not see a spark. Any ideas on where I should move forward from here? What could be causing that and what else should I test?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,801 Posts
Are you absolutely sure your issue is spark related..? Sounds like your issue may be valve related. Hard starts especially with a cold engine are often attributed to out of spec valves. I’d check the valve clearances first then go from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. It ended up just being a fouled plug. Except now when it starts, the idle shoots up really high on choke and the quad dies as soon as I take it off choke. Any ideas on troubleshooting that?

·
Super Moderator
8,801 Posts
Check for any vacuum leaks between the carb and the air box boot. If you have any leaks it would cause erratic or very high idling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked for vacuum leaks and everything looks good. Could it be a fuel/air screw issue? it fouled 2 plugs in a 15 minute period. Sorry for the dumb questions, I’m new to working on small engines.

·
Super Moderator
8,801 Posts
If your fouling plugs every 15 minutes your definitely running rich. There’s a metering rod inside the carb. You could try backing it off a notch and see if that helps. If it doesn’t you might have to take a hard look at the carb. My suggestion would be a good thorough carb cleaning and rebuild kit. And if you’ve never had your carb cleaned or rebuilt since you’ve had your bike then it isn’t not a bad idea to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts