Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Is the 4wd mechanical or electronically actuated..? And welcome to the Forum.

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Tap on the 4wd actuator with the handle of a screwdriver while getting someone to flip the 4wd on or off. If it disengages then the actuator itself is most likely faulty.

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
4wd actuators do fail, so they are not a uncommon part. You should be able to source one someplace. As for price, well that can vary. If you find a aftermarket actuator it’ll cost you less and do the job. But aftermarket components don’t seem to have the same reliability as the OEM ones do. Better reliability, but a bit more expensive. But well worth it, especially on electrical components.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which website is the best for parts for this machine. Also since it’s stuck in 4x4. Will it mess it up if I ride it ? Maybe don’t go too fast or something. And it seems like it’s shifting rough. Would that because it’s in 4x4. Appreciate you commenting back

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
It might, but I’m not 100% sure. And no, you won’t damage anything with it in 4wd. Just avoid concrete or asphalt like the plague to avoid adding stress to unnecessary driveline components. And keep speeds to a minimum just incase. If your unsure about the shifting, look into it further before venturing out. It might be related to it being stuck in 4wd, then again it may not. When in doubt play it safe and wait till you fix your 4wd to rule that out as a possible cause.

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Personally, I always drive in 2wd and just utilize 4wd or differential lock when absolutely needed. I did this with my 300 and will do the same for my 750.

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Yes I’d like to stay in 2wd. Just don’t wanna accept I have to pay 300-400 dollars to switch it back and forth. Any other options
I totally understand you there. And I wouldn’t expect you to break the bank on a new one.

But you may want to take a look on:

https://www.powersportsnation.com

Their used inventory from what I understand is constantly changing. Just a thought anyhow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked on there none right now. Maybe I’ll check back soon. What’s the best way to check if it’s the actuator Any fuzes or wires I could look for that’s maybe the problem? I appreciate the replies a lot. I have no work experiences on theses things

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Disconnect the electrical plug that leads to the actuator. If you have one take a multimeter and take continuity tests to see if it’s at least getting power to the plug. And there should be a fuse for your 4wd system. Though I’m not entirely certain on it’s location on your Vinson.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes I’d like to stay in 2wd. Just don’t wanna accept I have to pay 300-400 dollars to switch it back and forth. Any other options

The actuator actuates a 14mm bolt head looking thing. You can shift it with a 14mm wrench thats how i shifted mine for a few years after my actuator broke. It works well just tedious because you have to get off and get your arm all muddy reaching in there. And if your already stuck it really aint fun. I got sick of it and bought a new actuator.

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
IIRC, the Vinson shift actuator is a Denso part that crosses to a window regulator.

KangKwad, didn’t we go down this road some time ago? I think you had the info on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
I looked on there none right now. Maybe I’ll check back soon. What’s the best way to check if it’s the actuator Any fuzes or wires I could look for that’s maybe the problem? I appreciate the replies a lot. I have no work experiences on theses things
Check for power at the actuator. Have someone flip the 4WD / 2WD switch back and forth while you look at the meter. If you are seeing power, the actuator is bad. Like others have said before, it’s a very common problem . I got lucky and put about 4K miles on my Vinson with no issues. That was a good machine. Real good.

Vinzenzo, I am sending you a PM. Please take a look when you can.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts