Suzuki ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have an 05 king quad 700 this fall the factory regulator quit charging. So I ordered a replacement off eBay because I’m limited on funds hooked it up and started the bike it got really hot and quit charging so I did some more digging and found that my battery was shorting out when being charged. so I ordered another regulator rectifier and put a new factory battery in the bike. Got it all back together maybe put 30 miles on the bike and the New rectifier caught fire. I’m kinda at a loss on this thing. The 3 wires coming out of the stator is what melted and caught fire. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Could it be you bought inferior parts on Flea-Bay?????

eBay is a waste of time and money for so many things

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok so I have an 05 king quad 700 this fall the factory regulator quit charging. So I ordered a replacement off eBay because I’m limited on funds hooked it up and started the bike it got really hot and quit charging so I did some more digging and found that my battery was shorting out when being charged. so I ordered another regulator rectifier and put a new factory battery in the bike. Got it all back together maybe put 30 miles on the bike and the New rectifier caught fire. I’m kinda at a loss on this thing. The 3 wires coming out of the stator is what melted and caught fire. Anyone else have this issue?
I don't mean to sound overbearing, . . . but take a tip from an old electrician. There are a bunch of things that could be going on there, . . . and only a really top notch shop will be able to 100% fix it right the first time.

You can burn your machine to the ground and have nothing, . . . except of course the $30 you saved on Ebay.

Take it to the shop, . . . spend the bucks, . . . you will be glad you did next time you are on an 8 hour run and wear your self out having fun.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
84 Posts
Take it to the shop, . . . spend the bucks, . . . you will be glad you did next time you are on an 8 hour run and wear your self out having fun.

May God bless,
Dwight
It will also likely cost less to take it to the dealer than trying to figure this out on your own by throwing parts at it.

Not to mention getting Suzuki authorized parts and the repair will probably last another 13+ years. Instead of Flea-Bay parts every year or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the dealer is not an option at this point don’t have hundreds of dollars to throw at it aka why I bought the original parts off eBay I will put a factory regulator back on it. I was just curious if anyone had run into the same issues

·
Registered
215 Posts
I personally love solving these riddles and "like you" am reluctant to throw money a dealers way when the answer is usually obvious (in retrospect)... the old rule of troubleshooting is always start with the obvious, easy, common issues first then work towards the less common (and expensive) issues..

sooooo...
take every connector that you can get to apart, clean it (blast of air from compressor) then add dielectric when you reassemble.
the KQ is very susceptible to elec issues when the ground is compromised (take every ground apart..clean it, dielectric).
IS EVERY connection reassembled in the right polarity (I know you had burnt wires...did they get reassembled correctly..

take you time... be methodical..

let us know what you find :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well the dealer is not an option at this point don’t have hundreds of dollars to throw at it aka why I bought the original parts off eBay
Not trying to tell you what to do by any means but, how much money have you wasted throwing parts on it at this point and darn near lost your machine to an electrical fire? And you still don't know if you got faulty parts from Flea-Bay or if there is a deeper problem

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Electrical gremlins are the worst. Some are relatively easy to diagnose/fix, and some get you scratching your head till you pull your hair out. But when it comes to electrical problems where the livelihood of your quad is on the line, it’s best to take it to a reputable shop to diagnose/fix the problem. I understand you being on a fixed budget and funds are tight. Needless to say, when it comes to electrical issues that are serious enough to cause a fire. You may want to take it to a professional. I’ve heard of one guy several years ago that lost his bike because he could smell something burning but couldn’t figure it out, or why. And one day while out riding his quad, it caught fire and burnt to the ground. For several years after that while I was riding down that trail, you could see where it burnt to the ground. The reminisces of some of his quad still there. Pieces of tires, nuts, bolts, wiring, etc. Though you say a shop may be out of the question. It’s a way better solution then randomly throwing $30+ parts at it and still not solving the issue. Or even worse, your quad possibly burning to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree with Kenora . When i got my quad i went through everything even though i didn't have electrical issues. I started at my battery and worked my way out from there. Taking appart cleaning and putting dielectric grease on every conection and every ground point. Get a multi meter if you don't have one . Then run through check all wires for damage or wear . Make sure none are grounding out . Test the electronic parts. A good service manual should have specs and test procedures for most parts. Most of the time you can find the problem if you just take your time and check everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so I have been having issues with mine as well. I have a king quad 700 2005. It would run great for 19 minutes then go into limbo. And get really really hot. Don’t listen to these foolish people saying bring it to a shop...how do you think that mechanic learned how to fix it…he tried himself and learned how to be self sufficient. Get a multimeter and test all your plugs for relays and rectifier. Also Walmart has a 6 pin obd to a normal obd so you can get the codes on a diagnostic tool it’s $18. Get a code reader if you don’t have one I have a $300 innova but a $30 one will due fine. Or just put a pepper clip in the 6pin on the atv then turn on the key and the code pops up. Sounds like your strator is throwing to much voltage. But the code will tell you what to fix either way. I need to fix my strator and set my throttle response and I’m good to go. Took a few hours of reading online and a few hours of my time and cost me $150 if that

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Ok so I have been having issues with mine as well. I have a king quad 700 2005. It would run great for 19 minutes then go into limbo. And get really really hot. Don’t listen to these foolish people saying bring it to a shop...how do you think that mechanic learned how to fix it…he tried himself and learned how to be self sufficient. Get a multimeter and test all your plugs for relays and rectifier. Also Walmart has a 6 pin obd to a normal obd so you can get the codes on a diagnostic tool it’s $18. Get a code reader if you don’t have one I have a $300 innova but a $30 one will due fine. Or just put a pepper clip in the 6pin on the atv then turn on the key and the code pops up. Sounds like your strator is throwing to much voltage. But the code will tell you what to fix either way. I need to fix my strator and set my throttle response and I’m good to go. Took a few hours of reading online and a few hours of my time and cost me $150 if that
First off, welcome to the Forum. Secondly, you stating not to listen to these “Foolish” people is being disrespectful. So I ask that you please be respectful towards everyone here on the Forum. Lastly, please pay attention to all thread dates before replying to any thread(s). You just replied to a thread from 2019, (2 Years Old). These types of threads are considered dormant/inactive for a few reasons. These reasons and everything else pertaining to the Forum can all be found within the Forum Rules. So if you haven’t done so already, I highly recommend familiarizing yourself with these rules so there’s no further misunderstanding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off, welcome to the Forum. Secondly, you stating not to listen to these “Foolish” people is being disrespectful. So I ask that you please be respectful towards everyone here on the Forum. Lastly, please pay attention to all thread dates before replying to any thread(s). You just replied to a thread from 2019, (2 Years Old). These types of threads are considered dormant/inactive for a few reasons. These reasons and everything else pertaining to the Forum can all be found within the Forum Rules. So if you haven’t done so already, I highly recommend familiarizing yourself with these rules so there’s no further misunderstanding.
I was just being as disrespectful as the others were telling him it was a waste of time to learn something into not even bother didn’t mean it in a disrespectful manner I just thought it was foolish to tell somebody not to try and act like they have all kinds of money with most of the United States Guzman so they have to learn to do things on their own won’t happen again but I was just saying it is kind of foolish to tell somebody they aren’t smart enough to figure it out 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
I never implied to anyone that they are not smart enough. That would defeat the whole purpose of this Forum. Though maybe somebody else did that I didn’t pick up on. Either way, I always try to help people as best I can. But when it comes to certain electrical issues where members continue to struggle, I then often recommend bringing it to a dealer as they have the proper diagnostic equipment to diagnose those pesky electrical gremlins. Otherwise, there are a lot of other members here on the Forum with more electrical know how then I and may have a solution. But we do appreciate any kind of experience you can bring to the Forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't mean to sound overbearing, . . . but take a tip from an old electrician. There are a bunch of things that could be going on there, . . . and only a really top notch shop will be able to 100% fix it right the first time.

You can burn your machine to the ground and have nothing, . . . except of course the $30 you saved on Ebay.

May God bless,
Dwight
[/ mine did the same thing exact same year Fry's the stator had to add a ground wire to the ground wire on the rectifier and then ground is that to the frame it was drawing too much juice
Light Automotive tire Tread Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have three yellow wires that come out of your stator and plug into the rectifier and then you have four wires on a white plug that plug into the rectifier to the black wire on that plug you have to splice into the ground wire on the white plug and ground it out to your battery it is drawing too much juice on The Wire and started burning stuff up the way to check it to see if it's drawing take your multimeter take the red and black and put it on your battery if you have 12 volts turn the key on see if the voltage drops if it drops hair drawing and it's going to get hot I think Suzuki Florida on that I don't care what anybody says but if you check that ground wire out it's very small and it should be took care of my problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.