Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Vinson has been running great all year, until today. Starts with choke on, runs at low idle a few seconds, then stalls. Always restarts the same way, same result. Stalls right away if try to give it gas. Fuel petcock position makes no difference. HELP, PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
have you checked the air filter? Has it been sitting for a while? I would check the jets in the carb see if there's any gunk built up and clogging any ports. drain your flat bowl before checking jets. Your float could be stuck if its been sitting a while?. I have an 05. and have had minor carb problems. Bit only cuz Ive piped it. And jetted it. But my carb was still dirty a bit. Start simpl and keep ruling out issues! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It had been running great only a few hours before. I did look at the air cleaner and it looks great. I was told the fuel petcock diaphragm could be bad. It does have vacuum at the line. I made the mistake of removing the position knob (ON - RES - PRI) and the two screws that hold the front cover on. Luckily I was able to find something quickly to catch the gas in. I ended up just putting it back together but apparently while I was fooling with it I let gas run into the cylinder. Not realizing this, I tried to start it and it "locked up" with a loud "noise", the engine was unable to turn over ("hydrolock"?) I removed the spark plug and turned it over to remove the gas. I reinstalled the plug. Same problem, no change. It still starts, ONLY with the choke on full, but will not go to high idle. It stalls after a few seconds. It stalls immediately if I try to give it gas (throttle). The oil looked OK and doesn't smell like gas. I'm just at a loss because it has been running great all year and this suddenly happened basically overnight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just recalled that when I last rode the machine, I heard a strange "snap" or "crack" noise when I shut it off. Could this possibly be a noise that might have indicated something happened to the fuel pump? Does it even have an actual fuel pump? It just seems like it does not get enough fuel to keep running, except for a few seconds at very low idle with the choke fully on.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Yes, it has a fuel pump. What is the actual status of the fuel fuel Petcock..? If you remove the vacuum line (Smaller Line) at the fuel Petcock is the line wet or does fuel come out the line or port where you removed that line..? If so the fuel Petcock is bad and needs to be replaced. Note: This test should only be done with the valve on the fuel Petcock set to either the (On) or (Res) position only.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my King Quad, mine would only start of choke was on fully and when it started it was a low idle for about 20 seconds then it would stall out. As soon as you touched the throttle it would also kill it. Turn the choke off and it would kill it too. Took the carb apart and one of the jets was half clogged and cleaned it out and it ran perfect after that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Vinsons dont have a fuel pump, the fuel is gravity fed (carb is lower than the fuel tap). As above, you have a lack of fuel most likely because of a blocked jet, first check the vacuum line between the tap and inlet manifold, clean out your carb, fuel tap and tank, and fit an inline filter to your fuel line

·
Registered
1 Posts
It had been running great only a few hours before. I did look at the air cleaner and it looks great. I was told the fuel petcock diaphragm could be bad. It does have vacuum at the line. I made the mistake of removing the position knob (ON - RES - PRI) and the two screws that hold the front cover on. Luckily I was able to find something quickly to catch the gas in. I ended up just putting it back together but apparently while I was fooling with it I let gas run into the cylinder. Not realizing this, I tried to start it and it "locked up" with a loud "noise", the engine was unable to turn over ("hydrolock"?) I removed the spark plug and turned it over to remove the gas. I reinstalled the plug. Same problem, no change. It still starts, ONLY with the choke on full, but will not go to high idle. It stalls after a few seconds. It stalls immediately if I try to give it gas (throttle). The oil looked OK and doesn't smell like gas. I'm just at a loss because it has been running great all year and this suddenly happened basically overnight.
have you checked the air filter? Has it been sitting for a while? I would check the jets in the carb see if there's any gunk built up and clogging any ports. drain your flat bowl before checking jets. Your float could be stuck if its been sitting a while?. I have an 05. and have had minor carb problems. Bit only cuz Ive piped it. And jetted it. But my carb was still dirty a bit. Start simpl and keep ruling out issues! Good luck!
Hey bud how are you? Im messaging because im having the same problem thinh is my carb is clean . Me and lil brother were doing flat track style race in field (raining ) he was on my artic cat tires bald , i thiught hed go big track but instead little in midst his turn he spun to be face to face as i hit him. It wasn't super fast i locker up tires but stikl frint to front contact. No damage. **** i hit trees harder than i hit him. Non less quad kept running till i hit throttle then died ouy. I tore apart no lines messed up however noticed it is diodes. Any idea which one could possibly do that if it can. Mines m a 2005 as well. Please msg me on messenger face book. Name richard degroat jr. Hooe to hear from you and good evening.
Thank you
Rich

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
p51mstng Hasn’t been active on this Forum since “July 17th 2014”, (8 Years Ago). So I highly doubt he’ll even see your post and get back to you. Also, please insert proper punctuation in your thread/posts as this helps our community know where your sentences start and end. This in turn allows us to better assist you. ✌🏼

1 - 9 of 9 Posts