Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to this site.
I picked this used quad a couple years ago. It ran great...until the underneath frame broke while my son was riding it. He is ok, but it got me to wondering if this happens a lot, or why this would happen. I have attached the pic of where the frame snapped. Is this worth repairing or could it be repaired?? Could I ask suzuki about this?? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't say that I've seen one break that bad before. My only thought on trying to fit it would be to maybe see if you can find a tube or pipe that fits tight to the inside on the hollow part of the frame that broke, and try to use that for extra support. If your able to do that and the frame sections line up straight put a good weld at all the broken sections to join them back together. If your unable to fit a section on the inside, you could also try to make your own brace on the outside. I probably wouldn't try to just weld a new seam where it broke without some kind of structural support. Just my 2 cents on the matter, I'm not a professional welder so maybe someone else on here will have some better input on the situation. One of the biggest things to look at would be to make sure that you can get the sections "trued" up again so they are back to being how they need to be. Otherwise you might end up with steering issues.

My guess on why it failed is because water or moisture got inside and sat at that area and rotted it. Thats probably one of the lowest sections in the frame so it just pooled up there and slowly rotted away.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Brand new to this site.
I picked this used quad a couple years ago. It ran great...until the underneath frame broke while my son was riding it. He is ok, but it got me to wondering if this happens a lot, or why this would happen. I have attached the pic of where the frame snapped. Is this worth repairing or could it be repaired?? Could I ask suzuki about this?? Thanks
Glad your son is ok. That’s what’s important.
The Ozark is a great machine. My son had one and loved it. He rode it until he outgrew it. I sold it to a friend for his wife to use. It still runs perfectly and is used regularly.

I am not sure about the history of your Ozark , how it was used, stored , or cared for. From the picture it appears that rust may be the catalyst in the problem. My suggestion would be to take a hard look at the frame and see if there are any prior repairs, excessive rust, or weak spots that may cause future problems. A competent welder should be able to repair the frame if the metal surrounding it is in good shape.

i don’t believe you would have much recourse contacting Suzuki, but it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Good luck with it. I hope something pans out for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your quick responses. Very helpful.
Not sure what I am going to do yet....cause it may not be worth me trying to have it welded. Also, not sure if there are other issues with this quad when the frame snapped. When that happened the engine dug into the ground and looks like some cables may have snapped.
May have to start looking for a new/used quad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts