Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Little back story. My dad passed away and he had this 2002 KQ 300 at his place. He never rode it and it's pretty much in mint condition with 500 miles on it. So far I have drained the old fuel, cleaned the tank, replaced the carb (the carb was in such rough shape inside I wasn't sure if a rebuild would have been possible), fresh oil change, new spark plug and a new battery.

Anyway...it starts, idles and runs great. Only issue I am currently having is that it tends to bog down when I hit the throttle at high rpms. It does perfect at low/medium rpms as long as I stay in the right gears, but when I am trying to accelerate fast it seems like it is starving for fuel. It refs just fine in neutral as long as I don't hammer it too hard, so this tells me that it is starving for fuel upon acceleration under a load.

From the research I have done I think it is either a faulty or gunked up petcock not sending enough fuel (vacuum), or maybe a jetting issue with the new carb? I was curious if others have had this issue and the best way to approach it. I am just simply guessing it is a fuel delivery issue and I am leaning towards a new petcock as the old fuel in it wasn't good. I don't really want to start throwing parts at it until I get a few second opinions. Thanks!
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
Administrator
9,546 Posts
That’s one sharp mint looking 300. It’s such in great shape it honestly could be in a museum, lol. As for the bogging, it’s most likely carb related. I highly doubt your fuel petcock is the source of your problem. Suzuki atvs are notoriously picky when it comes to carbs. Most times any aftermarket or cheap Chinese carb will add more issues then their worth. Your always beast to use your OEM carburetor whenever possible. I’m surprised you were able to get it to idle and run half decent without it.

So I highly suggest throughly cleaning your original carb and rebuilding it. Or getting a shop to do this for you then installing it yourself. I’d do that first before anything. So unless your original carb body is cracked or physically broken, then there shouldn’t be any reason it can’t be cleaned and rebuilt.

Lastly, these particular atvs when in a higher gear won’t take off like a bat outta hell if you hammer the throttle. They have the majority of their pep in the lower gear ranges. I know if I hammer the throttle in 5th gear on my 300 the engine sounds like it bogs for a bit before it starts to pick up speed. And welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the same issue I am having with mine it’s got me stumped. My carb is clean as new can’t find any faults. But still bogs. Will keep you informed if I find a solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts