Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So looking for advice on a internet buy. It seems to be all messed up. I got spark and fuel. 150 psi compression. When I put gas directly in the carb it will only fire while holding the starter button in. It starts to fire and shuts off as soon as I let go of the button. Things I noticed are oil is white/ milky so I am thinking it went under water. I might be wrong but with 150 psi can’t be a head gasket so any advice on where to go from here I would appreciate.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
First off I’d drain the oil and put new stuff in. Don’t forget the filter. Drive it around a bit then swap out the oil again. This way you know your flushing everything out. Now drain and refill with new oil/filter. Then you should be good to go with that. Also when you drain the oil, smell it to see if it’s has fuel in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it has the recoil starter pull it over a bunch of times and it should circulate the oil around the engine.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
If if only runs when the starter is depressed, that sounds like the starter clutch is shot. Try the recoil starter (Pull Rope) to see if you can start it that way if your atv is equipped with one. If it is, you should also have a decompression lever. Flip it to reduce the amount of pressure inside the engine. This will make recoil starting your bike easier. The lever resets itself with every full revolution of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
No go on the pull starter. I am stumped. It looks like someone had the top end off before I bought it, so maybe they put something together wrong. I just don’t understand. I have spark, fuel and 150 psi. It should fire. I am thinking it’s something that cuts the spark out after it’s fires while holding the starter. With more investigation I see someone really was deep into this engine. The timing is also good, valves set perfect, only thing I think is I am missing something. Maybe something is wrong with cam chain? I am not sure if that’s possible because piston seems tdc with timing mark aligned and valves reading right in the middle of spec. The one thing I notice while cranking watching the cam spin that I don’t see any oil in that cam area or valves . I know my oil pump is working. If anyone would know, would my engine start to fire and then cut out because no pressure? Would it not fire at all if it’s low? As long as I hold the starter in it actually fires as in burning fuel release stater dies right out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts