Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran great for about a week then needed a jump for it to start, then will run backfire and die, and doesnt want to start again starter is clicking to.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Start by cleaning any and all connections including the battery terminals. Start at the battery working way to the starter solenoid then starter. See if that solves your starting issue. If not bench test the starter to see if it works. If it doesn’t then the starter solenoid is most likely the issue. Note that if you don’t feel like pulling the starter when the issue may be with the solenoid. You can try replacing just the solenoid and hope that’s the issue. It’s a relatively inexpensive part so it’s up to you.

Once you get the starter issue solved, do a voltage test at the battery with the engine running. After you’ve done a voltage test, post up the your readings so we can have a better understanding of what your quad is doing. And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jackson c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by cleaning any and all connections including the battery terminals. Start at the battery working way to the starter solenoid then starter. See if that solves your starting issue. If not bench test the starter to see if it works. If it doesn’t then the starter solenoid is most likely the issue. Note that if you don’t feel like pulling the starter when the issue may be with the solenoid. You can try replacing just the solenoid and hope that’s the issue. It’s a relatively inexpensive part so it’s up to you.

Once you get the starter issue solved, do a voltage test at the battery with the engine running. After you’ve done a voltage test, post up the your readings so we can have a better understanding of what your quad is doing. And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you will do

·
Registered
1998 Quadrunner 500, 2003 Vinson 500, 2007 King Quad 450, 2012 King Quad 750, 2009 Grizzly 700
178 Posts
If it's backfiring and dying I'd check the spark plug.

Reactions: jackson c

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ran great for about a week then needed a jump for it to start, then will run backfire and die, and doesnt want to start again starter is clicking to.
Faulty switch on my winch made my machine backfire and die. Disconnected the winch and I haven’t had a problem since. Hope this helps. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a battery to me. My friend has a Honda quad that had the battery go bad, it would pull start and run so he was using it like that for a while. The alternator will provide enough juice to fire the spark plug and if it's carbureted it doesn't need juice for a fuel pump. He got tired of pull starting it and got a battery, now he says the engine runs noticeably better. Must be getting a hotter spark with the full voltage of a fully charged battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts