Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im new here to the forum and got a 2000 king quad 300 from my brother that has been sitting for about 3 years. it was running when parked, although not very good which is part of the reason it was parked may have been carb issues. It also needs wheel bearings and such, is not charging. I have gone through the carb with a carb kit i can get it to idle and run good sometimes but i think it needs a voltage regulator so i got that ordered. the main problem im having now is it will not go into gear. It will go into reverse and back up, but when i try to put it into 1st gear it just won't go into gear. Ive tried with it running and with it not running. the cable is moving the shifter but it gets to a certain spot and it just wont go any further. If you guys have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes after taking it out of reverse or while it is in neutral i can lift up on the foot shifter and see the cable go up pushing the shift linkage back on the transmission but there is no "click" like when it goes in gear iv'e tried rocking it back and forth while holding up on the foot shifter with no luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disconnected the cable from the shift arm. I can move the shift arm some but it doesn’t move far enough to actually shift into gear. Im gonna remove the neutral switch and see oft the shift drum is free. I read on an earlier post where someone had a similar problem and it wound up being the shift drum was seized in the case behind the neutral switch. I’ve just got to get the rusted exhaust out the way to reach it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would try using a punch, brass if you have one. And use it so you can tap on it wit a hammer lightly. It's aluminum. But if something is just a bit jammed it may pop loose. Maybe jack the rear up on jack stands or blocks. Grab the rear wheels n give them a few good hard turns or jerks. While someone tries moving the shifter arm.
And start putting rust eater on the exhaust bolts.
Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I tried that with a regular punch. Very gently with no luck. I also tried tapping the shift arm with a hammer, just lite tapping, with no luck. So I got the exhaust bolts soaking up some liquid wrench.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts