Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my King Quad for 20 years and just hit 1000 miles on odometer. Always kept up with regular maintenance and it has never failed me. This year I decided to to to do major check up and replacement even though it ran fine. Replaced original tires, electrical components and carburetor even though nothing was wrong with original parts. I had noticed a slight stutter in the clutch so I ordered clutch parts. I checked each of the clutch plates, shoes and drum which really did not have any wear and followed manual for replacement taking a lot of photos (before and after) making sure everything went back as original. I adjusted the clutch as per manual and started it up then put it into 1st gear with no movement. Was able to some movement by partially depressing gear shift but not working as prior to the clutch replacement. Not sure what the problem is but at this point I am ready to take it to a dealer who is a couple hours away.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Did you adjust the clutch in 1st gear..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you adjust the clutch in 1st gear..?

Yes, I went through all the forums and u-tube videos I could find before cracking the case.
Bought a service manual as I have done with every piece of farm equipment and vehicles I have ever owned.
Marked and cataloged all parts and pieces as I typically do and just cannot find anything out of place with the clutch replacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had my King Quad for 20 years and just hit 1000 miles on odometer. Always kept up with regular maintenance and it has never failed me. This year I decided to to to do major check up and replacement even though it ran fine. Replaced original tires, electrical components and carburetor even though nothing was wrong with original parts. I had noticed a slight stutter in the clutch so I ordered clutch parts. I checked each of the clutch plates, shoes and drum which really did not have any wear and followed manual for replacement taking a lot of photos (before and after) making sure everything went back as original. I adjusted the clutch as per manual and started it up then put it into 1st gear with no movement. Was able to some movement by partially depressing gear shift but not working as prior to the clutch replacement. Not sure what the problem is but at this point I am ready to take it to a dealer who is a couple hours away.
As good as your atv has operated and performed, wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take it back to the dealership to make sure everything is as it should be. I have a 2000 kq 300 myself and it is something that I hope to keep enjoying for the rest of my days. Happy Trails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I would put the money in it.
I have a 2000 with 1500 miles on it, never had clutch problems. Had tons of carb issues, good luck.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
My 2000 KQ 300 has never had clutch issues and it has 14,350 km (8916 Miles) on it, “Knock On Wood”. And I’ve never adjusted the clutch as well. I’ve use Suzuki brand oil and filters since new. Only issues I’ve had with it is the fuel petcock, rear u-joints, rear wheel bearings (Twice), and rear brakes a few times. Beyond that it’s been a real tough reliable quad.

·
Registered
516 Posts
@rgg157, I can’t believe after 20yrs you only have 1000 miles on it !!!! Amazing. Yep,def worth getting it looked it if you can’t get it right. Once the clutch issue is fixed , sounds like
its ready for another 20 yrs. It’s refreshing to hear all you guys KQ 300s have been very reliable, outside of some regular maintenance items!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took my king quad to the dealer and had them check it out and repair what I might have missed. Picked it up last Wednesday and talked to the mechanic who worked on it. He said everything was installed correctly but the discs had gunk on them. Word to the wise, after soaking the new discs make sure you thoroughly clean all off the oil prior to installation. You won't find that tidbit in the service manual.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Good to hear. Curious.. how much did it end up costing you at the delears?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear. Curious.. how much did it end up costing you at the delears?
Total was $250 including $85 initial inspection fee. Before we took over in-law's cattle operation 5 years ago my Suzuki had 600 miles on it. We only used it to haul deer out of the woods before moving to the farm. Now we use it to run fences and check livestock. Always had tractors to do the hard work and kept the Suzuki in the garage.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ah, not so bad especially knowing it’s a solid machine and has a lot of life left and work to do on the farm. thanks for the update!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I took my king quad to the dealer and had them check it out and repair what I might have missed. Picked it up last Wednesday and talked to the mechanic who worked on it. He said everything was installed correctly but the discs had gunk on them. Word to the wise, after soaking the new discs make sure you thoroughly clean all off the oil prior to installation. You won't find that tidbit in the service manual.
What oil did you use......their answer is puzzling to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts