Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 King Quad 300 4x4 1987 Quadrunner 250 4x4
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I own a 2000 king quad 300 4x4 and it works insanely well for what I do and just for enjoyment. But from what I read online it doesn't have an automatic clutch but it shifts without using the clutch. So my question is, if I hold in the clutch and stay on the throttle, would I still be able to shift without ruining anything in the transmission or would it still grind the gears etc.

Also, I've only done this a few times but I've found a way to launch it basically. So you put it in first and somewhat shift up, like hold it up just a little then rev the engine some then let basically put it back in first. Will that ruin the transmission or is it fine to do that?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It doesn't have a hand clutch, it has an auto clutch, levers on the handle bars are your brakes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't have a hand clutch, it has an auto clutch, levers on the handle bars are your brakes.
Ok so does that mean staying in the throttle or doing that launching thing will or will not grind the gears?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
When you lift on the shift lever, it is the same as pulling a clutch lever. So when you rev it with the shift lever UP and then let it down, it is the same as popping the clutch with a lever operated clutch. I don't recommend doing it, they are not designed for that and will cause undue wear on the wet clutch and gears.

Reactions: Sawmillsinger

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you lift on the shift lever, it is the same as pulling a clutch lever. So when you rev it with the shift lever UP and then let it down, it is the same as popping the clutch with a lever operated clutch. I don't recommend doing it, they are not designed for that and will cause undue wear on the wet clutch and gears.
Alright, thank you for the advice and it's good to know so I don't ruin it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright, thank you for the advice and it's good to know so I don't ruin it.
Some misiniformation needs correcting.

When downshifting you will get smoother gear changes if you rev the engine the right amount with the lever depressed. It will put less stress on the gears and clutch of course...as the gears will be rotating at a matched speed when the gears mesh. While you dont have to do this, it is much kinder to your tranmission as the engine and transmission dont get a
sudden loading.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Some misiniformation needs correcting.

When downshifting you will get smoother gear changes if you rev the engine the right amount with the lever depressed.
When you say lever, what exactly are you referring to..? The foot shifter..?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ok, so I own a 2000 king quad 300 4x4 and it works insanely well for what I do and just for enjoyment. But from what I read online it doesn't have an automatic clutch but it shifts without using the clutch. So my question is, if I hold in the clutch and stay on the throttle, would I still be able to shift without ruining anything in the transmission or would it still grind the gears etc.

Also, I've only done this a few times but I've found a way to launch it basically. So you put it in first and somewhat shift up, like hold it up just a little then rev the engine some then let basically put it back in first. Will that ruin the transmission or is it fine to do that?
OK controversy be damned, I'm going to say it. :) The 300 has what's called an autoclutch, by which they mean that like another guy said, whenever the footshift lever is either depressed or lifted, the clutch, an alternating multiplate steel and fiber plate clutch pack that's exactly like a sport bike hand operated clutch, releases and unloads the driveline allowing the transmission to shift gears whichever way the operator has chosen. You have discovered that if you pull it into a gear from neutral and you keep applying pressure then you are in gear with the clutch pulled in and if you rev and release it, you can pop a wheelie.
Yes! And this, while admittedly is harder on a machine than riding it like granny, it isn't going to ruin anything any faster than a kid popping a hand clutch on any other manual tranny machine. Go for it.

Now here's a cool thing a 300 can do: Shift ranges on the fly, not stopping! That's because when you pull or push the foot shift lever you are also disengaging the driveline.
So let's say you are in middle (low) range and running up the gears 1, 2, 3, NOW take the range lever in hand and instead of shifting into 4, shift it back into 3 and at the same time that of course you have the foot operated clutch disengaged, shift the range lever into high. It goes just as smooth as silk and now you are in high 3 and you can go into high 4, 5 whatever you wish. It goes just as smoothly back down ranges too.
You can shift up and down through all 15 gears if you like, just like a truck driver shifting his RoadRanger.
(For the super low range you need to remove that sliding slug in the range lever)

For the 9 years I had a 300 (actually a 280 I bored and sleeved to 330) I played around like this. It's fun.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Couldn’t have said it any better. A wealth of knowledge from the veteran.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts