Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my 1999 Suzuki King 300 Quad serviced at a local shop. The guy I'm working with is a very experienced auto and ATV mechanic. He's been in the industry for decades and has owned a bike just like mine. I want to upgrade the tires, so he ordered me Kendra Bear Claw Tires (Rear 27x11-12 and front 25x8-11). It sounds like a great combo for sand and mud.

On social media, I've been advised to only have a 1" difference between the back and front tires. I did call Suzuki directly and they had no opinion on this matter.

You thoughts?

Thx, E

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
You should keep the 1” size difference between the front/back. The bike is designed this way from the factory for a reason. Using the same size tires front/back or having more then a 2” tire size difference front/back can cause the 4WD system to bind. Going up 27” is ok. Though the front should be 26” to keep that 1” tire offset. Also keep in mind the larger the tire you go with the more power it takes to turn them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You will have a binding problem with the 2" difference......things will start breaking especially on a dry surface.( in 4 wheel drive only of course)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will have a binding problem with the 2" difference......things will start breaking especially on a dry surface.( in 4 wheel drive only of course)
Hi TCIII,
Thank you for the feedback. I only intend to use 4x4 in heavy mud or in specific situations where 4x4 is required. I'd be using the bike in 2x4 for general trail riding. It sounds like the risk is greatest if I run it in 4x4 on hard surfaces.
I'm going to text the shop later today to see if we can just do 26 size tires in the rear to keep the 1" offset.
E

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should keep the 1” size difference between the front/back. The bike is designed this way from the factory for a reason. Using the same size tires front/back or having more then a 2” tire size difference front/back can cause the 4WD system to bind. Going up 27” is ok. Though the front should be 26” to keep that 1” tire offset. Also keep in mind the larger the tire you go with the more power it takes to turn them.

Hi TJL719,
Thank you for the feedback. I'll reach out to the shop later today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

AJL719,
Based on my reading,it appears that in general, binding would be an issue when running an ATV in 4x4 mode on hard surfaces, such as trails, pavement and such. But, if in heavy mud, requiring 4x4 to get out, it's a non issue. Am I understanding this correctly?
Thx, E

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Yes, it’s only on hard surfaces and in 4x4 that binding would occur as TC stated. I forgot to mention that sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting my 1999 Suzuki King 300 Quad serviced at a local shop. The guy I'm working with is a very experienced auto and ATV mechanic. He's been in the industry for decades and has owned a bike just like mine. I want to upgrade the tires, so he ordered me Kendra Bear Claw Tires (Rear 27x11-12 and front 25x8-11). It sounds like a great combo for sand and mud.

On social media, I've been advised to only have a 1" difference between the back and front tires. I did call Suzuki directly and they had no opinion on this matter.

You thoughts?

Thx, E
I used 03 Vinson 500 front hubs and refilled a set of rear hubs to run 12s on the front

·
Registered
8 Posts

You thoughts?

Thx, E
I’m doin kinda the same thing with mine I’m have 27’s in the back and 24’s in the front I don’t know how it will work out because mine is broke down but ITP mid lite xtr’s are the best tire out there just wanted to let you know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts