Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 1999 suzuki king quad 300. Has 2100 miles. Overall Seems well cared for and clean. When I was younger I always thought these were pretty cool atvs. They are kind of vintage now but still really neat. They kind of are the jeep rubicons of atvs. It starts and idles fine. I took it out riding today for the first time and noticed that when climbing steep trails that it starts to miss fire and won't rev out. The only way I can describe it is it's like a governor is kicking on at midrange. On the flats it runs and revs out just fine. I think it might be a float issue with the carb. Also I noticed that the carb has a small drip on it that's dripping onto the engine. The air filter smells like gas too. In fact, the quad always smells like gas when it's parked in the garage. I checked the spark plug and it's wet. Other than floats, anything else that could be causing my issues with the carb? I'm planning on buying a carb rebuild kit but thought I would post here first. Any advice would be great. Looking forward to many years of family enjoyment with our new ride.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Check the vacuum line to the petcock for fuel inside.....common problem with the vacuum operated petcocks....floods the carb and can even fill the crankcase with gas...if the vacuum line has fuel in it, check your oil for fuel contamination

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. Thanks for the tip. If the vacuum line does have fuel in it, what's the fix? A new petcock?

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
Either a new petcock or you can bypass the vacuum aspect of the petcock by plugging the vacuum port of the fuel petcock and on the carb then running your atv in the Pri position, (Prime). Pri is gravity fed and will require you turn the valve on the fuel petcock to Pri when you want to run the quad, then back to On when not using it. This is because in the On position the fuel petcock still acts as a fuel shut off. Or I've heard the fuel petcock from a Yamaha Raptor supposedly are direct bolt ons that work on these quads. Only difference is they cost way less the the OEM replacements.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the vacuum line coming from the petcock to carb and no fuel was found in the line. I went a head and ordered a shindy carb kit. It's going to be a few weeks before I can tackle the carb. Thanks for the tips thus far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have a link where I can download a 1999-2004 service manual? Want to start rebuilding the carb this week. Have a shindy kit ready to be installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts