Suzuki ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Final Product if anyone is interested...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
May sound dumb but I gotta rock mine back and forth to get it into gear. These bike seem to shift hard but the transmissions are supposedly indestructible
I’d say if shifting correctly. Not posta shift while moving between low & high range and super low of course... I wasn’t clear on how to properly shift so I ordered owners manual for way too much $, and that’s what the parts dept guys said. They explained rite way to shift and Y ya can’t on fly

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
189 Posts
Yes it does say don't do it, but if you read closely, it doesn't say absolutely under no circumstances should you do it or else stuff will break, it says doing it could cause a sudden change in speed causing injury... Reading between the lawyer talk, it say basically "do it very carefully and at your own risk'
I like to slow down to just a few mph, shift to 2nd then hold down the foot shifter, which is basically like holding down the clutch in a manual transmission car, then shift into high/low, then let go of the foot shifter, which puts me into first gear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Questions , can the shifter bushing be removed with oil in engine ? I just changed oil in a 92 KQ my beautiful wife scored for us . I found a quarter sized patch of corrosion in the oil filter housing. Under where the filter plugs in. And am concerned about internal components after reading your post. Was there much corrosion in your oil filter housing ? I have two other KQ and do not have this .
Since the new oil I put in turned black as the oil I drained I am planning several changes.
Best way to feel confident when you’re out is to know your machine and how to keep er going. You’re on your way to lots of great memories.
I read these forums to learn. Thanks man

·
Registered
67 Posts
2sos, love reading about rebuilds like this. Great to see all your work paid off & enjoyed looking through all your pics. Whilst doing so gave me the idea about getting some Oxlite brush guards, managed to find a pair of nos items! My bike is currently in pieces also, basically doing a entire rebuild too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

I look forward to getting to work on this new project with you guys. I just purchased a 1997 Quad King 300 (VIN: JSAAK42A3V2104273 ) with right at 2000 miles on it. Runs great and looks good. It just isn't shifting right. I can get it into neutral and reverse but can't get it into any other gears. I wanted some guidance on where to start. The guy I purchased it from bought a brand new set of transmission gears/shafts in anticipation for it needing that. I have read of some examples where one of the gears fused to the bushing thus not allowing for gear changes. But before I open the case I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions to check. Linkages, clutch, etc. Thanks in advance.

~Brian
I'm going threw same thing sort of ,my brother was riding my Suzuki king quad 300 and knocked it in low on accident now it won't go in to neutral or nothing.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I
I'm going threw same thing sort of ,my brother was riding my Suzuki king quad 300 and knocked it in low on accident now it won't go in to neutral or nothing.
If your brother knocked the sub-trans into low gear while he was moving then he may have broken a gear or something inside thd crankcase. Might be the reason it won’t go into neutral or anything else. And how the hell did your brother accidentally knocked it into low range while he was out riding..? I’m trying to understand how he manage to do that. Think that is the first time I’ve actually heard of anyone doing that. And I’ve been on this Forum for 11 years. The shift knobs typically don’t move with ease. Especially since you have to literally push the knobs down and move into your desired gear.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts