Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

Looking for a little help. My KQ's gears seem to be slipping as I try to increase speed. It shifts into all of the gears just fine, but each gear seems to slip. Eventually, each gear gets up to speed, but it takes a lot of time.

Where do I start to figure out what is wrong? Any and all advice would be appreciated!!

Drew
Michigan

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
One of your clutches is slipping.....

You can try adjusting the clutch ( search for info in forum on how)

If it does not help, your clutch may be worn and needs to be replaced......

What oil are you using?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am embarrassed to say I don't even know what oil is in it(brand). I bought it 2 years ago for ice fishing and have only used it 3 times. Right when I bought it, I changed the oil and put in OW-40. If my memory is thinking correctly, the motor oil is the gear oil as well, right? They are not separate. I didn't get an owner's manual...

The kids are getting older now and wanted to ride it today. When I pulled it out and got it going, I noticed the slipping.

I went on youtube and see a video about adjusting the clutch. It is behind the right-rear wheel. Very close to the Oil Filter bolt, right? If I am understanding the video, I just need to loosen the locking bolt(12mm) and "turn in" the set screw. Can you confirm that?

Thank you for any and all help!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is slipping.

I'd start by trying to adjust the clutch. If that doesn't help you may have to replace the clutch.

·
Super Moderator
7,305 Posts
Yes, that is the correct method. Though make sure you are in 1st gear when doing the adjustment. As for oil, you should be using motorcycle oil that is JASO-MA approved. It is specifically designed to be used with the wet clutch in your quad. Conventional oils can or will cause premature clutch wear. Try the clutch adjustment as TC stated, and if the problem persists you’ll most likely have to replace the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes. You turn it till resistance is felt. Turn back 1/8th turn and tighten the nut.

The oil is shared by the engine trans and rear diff. Front diff uses different lube.

When you change oil make sure its compatible with wet clutches. Using the wrong oil can make the clutch slip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Confirm that shift pedal return to normal position after engage gear, ajust clutch, change the oil (10w40 motorcycle), if don't resolve, clutch disc may be the problem...

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is the best advise yet. When you up shift, the trans will go into neutral until the shifter goes back down.
Ignore the ones telling you to buy special oil, unless you like wasting money.
These bikes do take a special oil, you will mess up clutches using car oil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts