Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this atv last fall and finally have time to ride it. The first time out I took off at full speed 40+mph. After about 1/4 mile the engine coughs and dies fast. After rolling to a stop shift to neutral it will restart right away. It did this several time running between a 1/4 and a half mile each time. Today I took it back out for another ride. This time I started at 20mph ran fine bumped up to 30 ran fine. Then I cracked the gas cap open and ran up to 45 without coughing. When I got home I could blow air in the vent hose in the cap. Has anyone seen this issue before? Just and tight vent or bad fuel pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could also be a fuel pump/line issue. If it's slightly plugged in the line that could be restricting the fuel flow enough that when it's using fuel at a faster rate it can't keep up. A weak or bad pump could do the same thing. I'd also check the pumps vacuum line from the carb to the pump and make sure it isn't leaking somewhere. Yes, a bad cap could cause that too, however if the vent is still allowing you to blow air into it then I wouldn't think thats the issue.

To see if the pump is working good, take the fuel pump line off the carburetor and then remove the spark plug wire so it won't start. Crank the engine over and see if fuel is pumping out at a decent rate when it's cranking. It would also be a good idea to put down some old rags or a can to pump the gas into.

My other thoughts are that if it seems to get worse when it's hot, and won't get better until it has some time to cool down I'd check the valve clearances. If one or both of the valves are too tight it could be causing a valve to be held open a tiny tiny bit when its warm since metal expands when it's hot. I had this issue with mine years ago on the intake valve. It would run great until it got hot then it would idle a little hard and cough through the intake.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Get a suzuki rebuild kit or a good used suzuki one. The $20 Amazon ones leak like crazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. My maintenance got bumped up. The brushes went out on the starter yesterday. I just ordered a brush and seal kit. Looks like this comes with bronze bushings to replace needle bearing on the drive end. Not sure if I want to change a good bearing out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got a fuel pump kit from eBay. It came with 2 springs. The pump on my atv does not have springs in it. It has a thin plastic sheet on that side of the pump. Any suggestions? All the pumps I see on ebay and Amazon have 2 springs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll take mine apart when I get home and let you know. I have the stock one and a Chinese one sitting in a box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I e mailed the ebay vendor and he said to install the light spring toward the cover. I thought it was Interesting that the pump on must atv did match the book. The one in the book has 2 springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts