Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to resurrect a 93 QR 250. Purchased it from my neighbor for $500, it runs and drives but it's in desperate need of some TLC.

I've posted in a few other parts of this forum but figured I would try the category specific one as well.

My current issue is that the bike will start, and I can drive around at part throttle all day, doing 15-20 MPH in high gear no problem.
The second though that I hit WOT, the bike will wind up find and I'll get moving pretty good, and then I have to slow down and turn around.
If I try to do a 2nd WOT pass, it chokes out and won't rev.

I'm learning much about the Suzuki quads and I am in the process of tearing down the thing to figure this issue out. Removing the fenders is kind of a PITA.
I have a carb kit ordered and will rebuild the carb for good measure but I'm getting plenty of power through the RPM range for that first WOT run so I don't believe the main offender is the carb.
I was SHOCKED, and I'm saying this seriously, absolutely SHOCKED that a tiny little baby 250cc has a Vacuum controlled fuel pump. Never heard of such a thing on an ATV. I've owned several Honda's and Yamaha's with carbs. Never once did I run across a fuel pump.

SO, I'm thinking that perhaps the fuel pump is the culprit. I'm in the process of getting the body off and when I removed the top plate for the transmission selection levers I see 3 hoses that are not connected to anything.

So in the first picture, the first 2 hoses on the left hand side I'm assuming are vent lines for somewhere. I don't think those are a problem.
But the 3rd one in the 2nd photo that goes to a T-junction, why would the T-junction be there if it's not connected to anything? Anybody know what that is for.
The 3rd picture shows where that connects to on the carb.

Any help?
20200730_171042.jpg
20200730_171037.jpg
20200730_171049.jpg
20200730_171042.jpg 20200730_171037.jpg 20200730_171049.jpg

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
That one with the T on it is a vent from the carb. I think they put the T on it to help keep dirt out.....It's normal.

They have a fuel pump because the carb is higher than the fuel outlet of the petcock and fuel will not flow to the carb unless the tank is over half full without the pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to resurrect a 93 QR 250. Purchased it from my neighbor for $500, it runs and drives but it's in desperate need of some TLC.

I've posted in a few other parts of this forum but figured I would try the category specific one as well.

My current issue is that the bike will start, and I can drive around at part throttle all day, doing 15-20 MPH in high gear no problem.
The second though that I hit WOT, the bike will wind up find and I'll get moving pretty good, and then I have to slow down and turn around.
If I try to do a 2nd WOT pass, it chokes out and won't rev.

I'm learning much about the Suzuki quads and I am in the process of tearing down the thing to figure this issue out. Removing the fenders is kind of a PITA.
I have a carb kit ordered and will rebuild the carb for good measure but I'm getting plenty of power through the RPM range for that first WOT run so I don't believe the main offender is the carb.
I was SHOCKED, and I'm saying this seriously, absolutely SHOCKED that a tiny little baby 250cc has a Vacuum controlled fuel pump. Never heard of such a thing on an ATV. I've owned several Honda's and Yamaha's with carbs. Never once did I run across a fuel pump.

SO, I'm thinking that perhaps the fuel pump is the culprit. I'm in the process of getting the body off and when I removed the top plate for the transmission selection levers I see 3 hoses that are not connected to anything.

So in the first picture, the first 2 hoses on the left hand side I'm assuming are vent lines for somewhere. I don't think those are a problem.
But the 3rd one in the 2nd photo that goes to a T-junction, why would the T-junction be there if it's not connected to anything? Anybody know what that is for.
The 3rd picture shows where that connects to on the carb.

Any help? View attachment 20083 View attachment 20084 View attachment 20085 View attachment 20083 View attachment 20084 View attachment 20085
Did you get the problem fixed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello
It looks like this post is stalled, too bad . I have an issue with the tee I hope someone can respond to. ATV starts and idles fine , after a couple of minutes, the idle jumps up and stays there until I put my thumb and finger over the ends of the tee , then the r's drop back down, but after a while, it repeats. I can't put the plastics back on and cover the tee until I solve this ? I replaced the fuel pump with a non Suzuki (supposedly compatible one) . Thanks to any advise. I was 114 on compression but the engine was cold .Adjusted valve lash correctly. 4th gear and 5th gear are basically the same speed ? Wonder if it needs a bore ?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
That Tee hose may be connected to a vacuum port instead of the vent port on the carb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts