Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed the oil on my beat up craigslist quadrunner after buying it because I don't think the previous owner had done it for years. I think I overfilled the system a little bit because when I checked it the oil level was at the top of the sight glass but I assumed at the time that this was just due to uneven terrain because I had added less than what I had read that the oil system capacity should be. I drove it short distances several times and it seemed fine but it had other issues. I was testing a probably unrelated problem with it today and drove it for longer (but still not that long) than I had before and when I parked it oil had leaked out from (I think) where the right rear axle goes into the differential. Oil level was in the middle of the glass. I let it sit for a while and no oil leaked out, but when I started it again and took it around the block more oil had obviously leaked out. When I got the quad the area around the right side of the engine/transmission/rear differential was already caked in oily dirt so I think this part probably had a slow leak to begin with.

I think the engine either got too hot or the pressure inside got too high and that seal was the path of least resistance.

Has anyone had to change one of these? How do I go about removing the rear axle to access it, and should I check for any other damage before I run again? Also what part will I likely need to replace?

Thanks for the help folks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Probably just a bad seal. First you will need to remove the tire. After that you will have to remove the rear shock bolt that connects to the control arm. Once that's removed you will have to take the control arm out. There should be a bolt in the rear below the muffler, and one somewhere towards the front a little behind the foot rest. After this is removed you should be able to slide the axle out of the inner u-joint. To remove the inner u-joint you may need a slide hammer setup or possible a bearing splitter to go in behind the joint. Be careful when using a bearing splitter, you don't want to put too much pressure pushing against the case. Once the joint is removed, you should be able to pry the seal out. In a pinch I have used a flat blade screwdriver, but a seal puller tool will make it easier.

There are some case breather tubes that come out of the top section of the engine, if they are plugged or kinked for some reason then that could be causing the leaking issues but I doubt that's the issue. More than likely you just have a bad seal. I wouldn't be worried about it being overfilled. I've seen them filled way more than without it causing an issue. It probably won't leak much when it sits since the oil level is lower than where the seal sits when it's on a flat surface.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also the picture/link you posted is for the front diff, you will want the one for the rear assembly.

Heres the link/pic:

You will want number 15 in the diagram if you decide to replace the seal.

Just my 2 cents, this is the seal puller I've used in the past for these types of seals, it works pretty good in a tight area where there is a shaft sticking out still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts