Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I am brand new to ATVs. Never ridden one in my life. I just purchased 2 rather beat up, but running, Suzuki ATVs. The first is a 1991 LT-F250 by the VIN. The second I'm not sure of because the VIN is not clear. I was told it was a "250 Quadrunner 4WD" but no specific model or year. Of course the guy didn't have a title for either.

Anyway, since I am totally new to ATVs, I would like to get an owner's manual but cannot find one anywhere. Closest I have come is a 1990 manual on eBay. Anyone know if that will work or where I can get one for a 1991? No idea if there were any major changes from 1990 to 1991. I searched the forum and found reference to an old post that was supposed to have links for manuals but I didn't see any links in it.

I already ordered a repair manual so I have that covered. Just need the owner's manual to know where everything is and how it should operate so I don't kill myself. Lol

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Owners manuals can usually be obtained through your nearest Suzuki dealer. Though you can check out a site called Tradebit. I know the sell PDF style service manuals at a very reasonable price. So they carry owners manuals as well. And, you could always ask whatever questions you need to know about your quad directly here on the Forum. I’m sure myself or someone else will be more then happy to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked Suzuki's website but couldn't find one for my model. All the dealers were closed yesterday. I'll give them a call today and see. I'll also check out Tradebit. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
I meant to say Tradebit might carry owners manuals as well. I made a typo and forgot the world “Might” in my last post. Not entirely sure if they do. Worth a look though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They don't. Pretty much exclusively repair manuals. Called a local dealer and they said the manuals are no longer in print so the dealer is out as well. :-(

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Good to know for future reference. Sorry I couldn’t help you find/obtain a owners manual. What exactly are you looking for information wise about your quad..?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty much everything. Lol. For example, I know the front brake is on the right side grip but what is the lever on the left side for? On a motorcycle it's the clutch but my understanding is these both have an automatic clutch. Not to mention there's a small piece that apparently locks the lever so I wouldn't think that would be a clutch.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Those atvs have a semi auto transmission. So you are correct there. You are also correct that the right handle is for the front brakes. The left handle is not a clutch lever. It’s actually the rear brake lever believe it or not. The front brakes are hydraulic. The back brakes are cable operated. The way the transmission works is by letting off the throttle briefly and lifting/pushing on the foot shifter. Your shift pattern is as followed: 5 up, 5 down. To upshift, first lift up on the gear shifter for 1st gear. Now get up to speed and lay off the throttle and lift up on the foot shifter. To downshift, lay off the throttle and push down on the foot shifter. Make sure you are going slightly slower speed wise when you upshift to avoid jerky gear changes. For reverse, make sure you are in neutral, then pull back on the red reverse lever to engage reverse. When done, push it forward again for neutral.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yes they are both.....the lock on the lever is for a parking brake use.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
As TC mentioned, the right foot pedal and the left hand lever is for the back brakes. You might of also noticed that there is a choke lever on the same side as the left hand brake. The correct term is actually enrichner. When it’s colder out you may find you need to use it to start your atv when the engine is “Cold”. Flipping it all the way down is fully on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I figured that was the choke but wasn't sure if up or down was fully on. I was perusing the repair manual earlier and saw that there was a pressure relief, can't remember if that is the correct term or not, on top of the engine that needs to be opened prior to starting. The starter doesn't work on either ATV so it has to be pull started. I had noticed that the 4WD one was MUCH harder to pull. I'm guessing that is because I wasn't opening the pressure relief?

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
The correct term for the pressure relief valve is actually decompression lever. It works by reducing the amount of pressure within the engine thus making recoil starting, (Pull Rope) easier. Whether it’s 4x4 or not shouldn’t really make a difference on how hard it is to pull. Engine size would. Though if you try pull starting with the decompression lever then without you’ll notice it’s much harder. Keep in mind the decompression lever automatically resets itself with every full revolution of the engine. You should also only use the decompression lever in conjunction with the recoil starter, never the electric starter as doing so can cause possible engine damage.

As for your electric starter. Start with the simple things first. Check the fuse. If it’s fine, make sure your battery is fully charged/holding it’s charge. If that checks out, start by cleaning all your connections. Start at the battery then work your way to the solenoid, then the starter. If cleaning the connections still doesn’t do it, change the solenoid since it’s a relatively cheap part. If still nothing, pull the starter and bench test it. If it spins, the issue lays someplace else. If not, the starter is dead and it’ll need replacing. Best bet for that if it gets to that point is to buy yourself a starter rebuild kit as a new starter is a bit pricey.

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
160 Posts
According to the manual that came with my 98 quadrunner (yes, the manual was in the glove box, amazing) the correct way to use the depression lever is as follows.
#1, flip lever.
#2, pull rope gently untill the lever flips back, then return rope to pull start housing.
#3. Pull again to Start engine.
it says if the lever doesn't stay up, that's ok, it just means it's already in "decompression mode" do will be easier to start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts