Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suzuki 1990 QuadRunner starter problem.
I bought this atv from a neighbor who had been using it for hunting. It quit running and needed carb work. The starter was not installed when I bought it. I bench tested the starter after cleaning it in/out. It spun when I put the cables to it. I have it installed now. All electrical seems to be checking out; lights, etc, but when I hit the start button the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel (?). Anyway, it free spins. Tried rocking it in gear to advance flywheel, no luck. This is my first experience with an atv. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I am going to say it will be the starter clutch.
Welcome to the forum.

THOMAS

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
If its been sitting awhile i woulkd say starter clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. Can a starter clutch be repaired/rebuilt or is it a replace only part?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Replace only for the average Joe, because of the bearings and stuff. Plus it is easier.

THOMAS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Thomas. I'm pulling the starter clutch tomorrow. I'll learn something. I have access to a complete automotive shop with pullers and presses to repair just about anything. I'm a pretty good wrench, but this is new to me. Probably order one and be done with it. Just hate to buy something that I might be able to repair. Thanks again. I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I didn't mean to imply you weren't a good mechanic, but these can be a little tricky if it is your first time working on them. Plus it is better to just go ahead and purchase a new starter clutch instead of trying to repair it. But with that being said, once you get it out it may be as simple as just soaking it in some oil,WD-40, PB blaster to get the fingers to release and grab the starter gear to get it to engage because it may just be rusted a little or have some dirt keeping it from doing its job. But we won't know until you get a chance to pull it and inspect it.
We will help you get it going anyway we can.

THOMAS

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you taken it apart? I am having the same issue on an lt4wd. Can you let me know how difficult it was? Did you have to remove the engine from the frame?

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
I don't believe you have to remove the engine to do this fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Suzuki 1990 QuadRunner starter problem.
I bought this atv from a neighbor who had been using it for hunting. It quit running and needed carb work. The starter was not installed when I bought it. I bench tested the starter after cleaning it in/out. It spun when I put the cables to it. I have it installed now. All electrical seems to be checking out; lights, etc, but when I hit the start button the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel (?). Anyway, it free spins. Tried rocking it in gear to advance flywheel, no luck. This is my first experience with an atv. Any help appreciated.
I'm sorry am I missing something is this a 1990 LT230E,a QuadRunner a lt160E,or LT-F250? because there are some changes in these Quads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts