Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this old 1990 Suzuki Lt F250 to fix up. It was missing a lot of bolts etc and needed a new starter clutch. As I have been getting new parts I have been putting them in. Today I decided to pull off the oil screen drain plug cover off the bottom of the engine, I saw a bunch of brass coloured metal shrapnel in there. I am guessing a bushing or bearing somewhere in the engine has blown out. I don't know where to start to look. Could it be the wrist pin pushing? Maybe the connecting rod bearing? Everything else seems to have roller bearings. I don't have any history on this machine and didn't know if it even ran. I can say that it looks like the machine was not well cared for. The little bit of oil in the engine smelled burnt and was black. It had been previously drained by whoever partially dismantled the engine as the case where the starter clutch is located was all dismantled when I got it.

The cylinder head shows signs that it has been pulled off as there is new sealant visible on it . I don't know how fat they went with whatever was done to the head or cylinder/piston etc.

I am still waiting for parts and gaskets to reassemble the left side case cover but am considering whether to pull the engine now that I found all that metal.... Not what I wanted to do...

Does anyone know where this brass coloured metal may have come from?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Probably the starter. They sometimes used a brass washer between the spring and gear.

Can't really think of anywhere else. If the starter broke at one point, the pieces could fall into the oil pan eventually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably the starter. They sometimes used a brass washer between the spring and gear.

Can't really think of anywhere else. If the starter broke at one point, the pieces could fall into the oil pan eventually.
OK, I sure hope that is the case. I couldn't find anywhere on exploded diagrams where a brass bushing or spacer was used. I was wondering if there was maybe brass thrust washers on the connecting rod but have never had a case apart and a look at a crankshaft. I looked at replacement connecting rod/bearing kits and couldn't see anything like a thrust washer so hope this is the case.

There were a fair number of pieces of this metal gathered in the sump pan/cover. I pulled the clutch side cover off as well to have a look and ensure there were no pieces of metal visible or floating around in there. It looked all good and clean. I guess I will reassemble everything when my gasket set arrives and give it a go and see if it will run and what it sounds like.

Thanks for the reply,

Lance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts