Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the weather is cold (say 40 degrees or lower), my 4 wheeler will get spark during cranking maybe once oevery 6 to 12 seconds, sometimes not at all for 30 seconds. When the weather is 50ish it usually starts right up. I have had a fully charged battery and/or a 75 amp starter charge on it during the cold times and it makes no difference. I have in the past put a heater next to the bike with blankets over it for an hour or two and then it starts.

I am planning on taking off in order the coil, then the CDI, and lastly the rectifier one at a time durning a cold period and take them in the house and let them warm up to see if bringing out a warm part will make the difference. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue in the past and if so, what was the fix?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Sounds like your coil is just trying to crap out on you, I would just get a new coil and see if that fixes the problem before you get the CDI and rectifier. Not sure of what could be causing it other than the cold can effect things strangely.

THOMAS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Oh yeah I wanted to ask you also is your starting spinning over pretty fast, I know mine 97 KQ is sparking like yours is, without it even being cold, and my starter finally went completely out on me tonight. I just ordered another starter and I will let you know as soon as I get the new one put on if that improves my spark also. If it isn't spinning fast enough the pickup doesn't spark very efficiently.

THOMAS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems to be spinning just as fast as it does when it's warm out. I do have a spare starter motor, but I don't seem to have this issue when its warm... this has been happening for the past two winters, but I never checked the spark that much as the electric start didn't work (I just fixed it this summer), and when I did check, I would see the spark and say "oh, I have spark..."

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Is it a bright looking bluish/white color or is it more of a yellow color? If it is the yellow color I would definitely get another coil. Have you ever changed the coil on it before?

THOMAS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never changed it but my dad gave it to me and I don't know if he did or not. It is a bright bluish/white spark... Like I said when it's warm out hardly ever an issue with spark/or starting for that matter...

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Hmmmm not sure what else to tell you on this, very strange for sure. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

THOMAS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update, I put my coil on my radiator in the house and got it nice and hot... I put it on the bike and holding a plug onto the end of the plug in the machine, I cranked it over... Once... I forgot the whole don't grab a plug wire rule (as I've been doing it with no issue for months with this machine), and the power that the coil put out was amazing. The bike cranked right over (before I put it on the radiator, it wouldn't start, no spark).

So I took it for a ride.

In the middle of the ride the bike stalled out and I had no more spark... 30 minutes, and a dead battery, later just as I was giving up hope using my recoil starter, the bike fired up. I had been at the bottom of a ravine when it quit, so there was no hope of pushing it out. I raced home, and I mean raced. I normally do not ride my bike like that, but I felt the need to get it home. I have ordered a new coil, but I'm still not convinced that it is 100% the coil. When it comes in, we will see. If I keep getting the issue with the cold, I'll continue with my troubleshooting steps.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
If you can get it to start again and if you have a multimeter you may want to check the voltage that the stator is putting out, I have been fortunate enough to not have to replace one, but that may be part of the problem. The reason I said that because if your battery was charged when you left for the ride it shouldn't have drained the battery down like that.

THOMAS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, I didn't explain myself well enough in that last post. The battery was dead from trying to start it with the electric starter (around 20 to 30 minutes of trying), it was nice and charged when I stalled out. And on the ride back after I got it started back up with the recoil starter, the battery was nearly charged back to full.

I would like to check that stator voltage and I do have a multimeter. I just don't know where to put the connections... (I'm self taught on most things like this so while I may seem knowledgable, it's only on things that I've done before, or read about. Thirteen years in the Army will teach you that 99% of the things that you need to know have been done before and most likely someone put it in a book)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Oh OK no problem. I would check the voltage of the battery while it is not running and then start it up and look and see how much it is reading, that is how I do it anyway. I might not be doing it the correct way but it hasn't let me down yet. Sorry for the mis-communication on earlier post. The main thing is you wanna make sure it isn't dropping below probably about 12.3 12.6 should be a safe range. I wouldn't feel comfortable if it was lower than that because it will start pulling too much power from the battery.

THOMAS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I ordered and recieved a new coil. didn't fix the issue. When I was having spark issues, I took my heat gun and heated up the CDI around 20 degrees and whammo, it started. I reproduced the event four times so far, so it looks like I need to get a new CDI.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Sorry the coil didn't fix it for you, but at least you were able to narrow it down and should have it resolved soon.

THOMAS

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having same sort of problem with my 1987 lt250 if the cdi fixes the problem will you post that? I'm also going to try the heat gun trick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just came in from the shop and after putting the heat gun to the cdi box it sparks excellent. I'm sure it is the cdi box has a break in the board. I'm going to order a new one and report back. I'm sure this is it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts