Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought an old 1987 suzuki quadrunner 250 4wd. I got it cheap and it runs but needs work. I'll start by saying im a decent at fixing almost anything, and have worked on quite a bit of stuff, but engines im still learning on a bit. Im trying to figure out if i have electrical or fuel problem. It will start and idle good after warmed up. When riding, it bogs really bad until about half throttle, the seems to run better on top end. Still doesnt run great on top end, almost seems like it has a miss or a surge. Also, another note, at times when its first been started and not warmed up, it sometimes will idle a little rough, and when it does i notice the neutral light and headlights going out, sometimes to the point to where they go completely out and then quad dies, but will start right back up. I have had the carb off. Was going to rebuild, but onve i got it off and got into it, i realized they had sent wrong rebuild kit, therefore cleaned everything as good as i could with carb clean and reassembled. It runs just as it did b4 cleaning. I know this is all kinda vague, but just trying to figure out where to get started bc this thing is driving me nutz, and although i dont have alot of experience with motors im a very do it yourself kind of person and can figure anything out with some thought and help from the internet of course. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 95'... and I figured the remedy would be to put a 87' style non-cv carb on it... come to find out the problem is still there.

I have narrowed mine down to either the CDI or the Stator/Spark Pickup, as both of mine were replaced with cheap, Chinese units.

I am about to send my old stock stator and pickup off to Ricks Motorsports to have them rebuild them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Try doing a no-load test on the Stator. I just did and was getting only 40-50VAC per leg. It should be well over 55VAC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts