Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rebuilt the carb. Adjusted the float. Adjusted the needle. Quad will now start and idle pretty good. Quad runs pretty good on top end. Low end to mid throttle or a little more the quad sputters, going downhill the quad sputters like it's trying to backfire but doesnt actually backfire that I can recall. I've cleaned and rebuilt the carb, adjusted I dont know how many times. Seems like at times, i can get it running a little better then it starts acting up again. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm new to working much on fuel systems.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If I'm thinking right, your '87 has a round slide style carb.

With it at idle, adjust the air screw out until it starts sputtering, then take it in until it stops sputtering. Then go see if it does the same.

Did you verify that the pilot jet was the correct size?

Other than that, it seems like it simply isn't getting enough fuel. Maybe weak/dirty fuel pump? I know they make rebuild kits for them. Something you can try is to bi-pass the fuel pump. Just put a small tube between the ends. Then with the gas tank over half full, try it out. gravity feed should be fast enough to keep up, but will only work for half tank or more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to get an extra piece of fuel line today to try bypassing fuel pump and see if that works. I'll let you know. The pilot jet is factory size jet, I did verify that. I'll try the fuel pump bypass to see how it runs and work from there. I'm no master mechanic by any means but I can usually sort out problems. This one has just been a headache bc it seems like I'll get it running just a little bit better, then make no adjustments and go out to ride it next time and it runs like ****.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the fuel pump. I bypassed the fuel pump with the tank full of gas. Four wheeler now runs better than it has since I bought it. Now to find a new fuel pump or rebuild kit. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts