Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 LT230GE that I’ve been rebuilding and I’m now working on the front brakes. I noticed that the wheel cylinders are locked up. Would the Dorman #W37850 cylinders work on my bike?

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
The Dorman #W37850 wheel cylinders is what I used on my 2000 Suzuki 300 KQ and they work fantastic. I’m guessing they should do the same for your ‘86 LT230GE. And welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. Thank you. The cylinders are the only thing I’m waiting on now. If they fit and work I’ll be riding some trails at the hunting property this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received the cylinders today and they aren’t an exact match. I’d have to widen my screw holes and cut away some of the backing plate so the cylinder sits flush. Has anyone had to do this?

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
I thought that might have happened given your bike was a older model then say the mid 90’s QR’s and 300 KQ’s. But I couldn’t say for certain. All I pretty much knew was that they worked on the 300 KQ. So I figure they might of worked on yours ‘86. But I guess not. I apologize about that. Are you able to return the ones you got at least..?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that might have happened given your bike was a older model then say the mid 90’s QR’s and 300 KQ’s. But I couldn’t say for certain. All I pretty much knew was that they worked on the 300 KQ. So I figure they might of worked on yours ‘86. But I guess not. I apologize about that. Are you able to return the ones you got at least..?
I got them on Amazon so I should be able to. They were cheap so If I can’t, no loss. Time to start the search again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I
Just removed the original ones off the bike. Soaking them In WD40 over night. One has already freed up and is just really dirty. Rubber looks good. Going to clean and reassemble tomorrow. The other one is frozen. So that one will just soak overnight and I’ll see what happens tomorrow. Good chance I may be able to salvage these. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I used a wire wheel to "hone" mine out and they work great now. Well, one does. The other was stuck so hard that I broke it trying to get it apart. Ended up ordering a new one. This is a Quadrunner 250 LT-4WD.

These are the ones I ended up getting:

But that is probably what you ordered and received already. If you can't clean up what you have, you might be a bit out of luck.

ps. I'm completely sold on the ultrasonic parts cleaners now. Every part that will fit in the basket gets cleaned now. Pretty amazing what they can do.

Reactions: Olstitch

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Suzuki part number for the assembly is: 52400-54320

Suzuki part number for the cup and boot kit is: 52400-54810

·
Registered
1986 Suzuki LTquadrunner 230GE
34 Posts
i have a 86 LT230 GE go look on ebay there are alot of sellers with parts for these models I check Muff motorsports ,OEM powersprts Bonnie supply and Junkyard boys these guys all have or have had parts for my 86 LT230 quadrunner GE Junkyard boys has many parts good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a 86 LT230 GE go look on ebay there are alot of sellers with parts for these models I check Muff motorsports ,OEM powersprts Bonnie supply and Junkyard boys these guys all have or have had parts for my 86 LT230 quadrunner GE Junkyard boys has many parts good luck
Awesome. Thanks for the lead. As of now I was able to free them up and get them clean. I ordered new brake shoes for the front and read and I’ll be testing when they get in. I just might order those parts as spares anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great. I honed mine, before the internet. Using a honing tool. If you can get the rubbers to work you have it. You should be able to get the banjo bolt out so you can clean it. So you can bleed your system better.
The brake adjusters get corroded on these and the little teeth need to be clean. If you can catch a bit of the brake fluid in a clean can so you can inspect it. It can tell you a lot. Look for black flakes as the brake lines are old and rot inside. Also tell if there's moisture in the system.
Maybe you already did this. But may help others out.
Hey good luck, my beautiful wife prefers her little 83 lt230 over her K Q.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts