Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 1984 lt185 for 250$. I had to bump start it for proof that it runs. I was looking up pull starters(starter recoil) and a complete one is somewhere around 175$. However the same shaped one for an lt230 is much cheaper(70$). will the 230 pull starter work?

Also, mine has electric start, but I can’t find any parts for it on the internet. Should I assume the previous owner made a custom side case and wired a starter with a custom cup gear that bolts onto the flywheel; as it is now. Because there’s a very heavy duty aluminum battery box right under the seat with automotive grade + and - cables and a battery twice as big as a regular quad battery. Come to think of it, the starter is very big for a motor this size too; About as big as the motor cylinder. I have not checked for a starter relay/solenoid. And there is no momentary contact switch for power to get to the starter

Going to start by charging the battery and bench testing the starter before spending any money.

Any information would be helpful! It’s very hard to find info on these things let alone parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
The electric start was a upgrade option and that replacement cover was installed with the starter. The battery should have been mounted behind the front bumper. I have an '84 LT185 that my grandmpa bought brand new and can tell you that the electric start never worked right. We abandoned it 30+ years ago and I only use the pull start. I have the starter on there still (never bothered to replace it) the button, the wire leads but no battery. Good luck but from my experience, forget about it. Use the de-compress level on the right handle and get to pulling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts