Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I just purchased a 19 KQ400 ASI. I was told that I wouldn't need to use the "choke" lever or whatever they call it because it is fuel injected and should fire right over but I am finding that the machine will not start without moving this choke to the down position when cold. From what I read this shouldn't really be needed until the temp is WELL below freezing The machine has 4 hours on it. Is this something that is normal? Temps are in the 30's here in PA. Thanks

Pete

·
Super Moderator
7,477 Posts
I’m assuming when you say 30, you mean 30 Fahrenheit..? The equivalent to 30 Fahrenheit is - 1 in Celsius. At that temp your bike should require some choke on the initial cold start up. And the correct term for the choke your looking for is “enrichner” Typically carbureted bikes require a choke. If your quad is fuel injected, it shouldn’t require a choke or even have one since the computer adjusts the fuel air mixture based on outside temperature and engine temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct on the name, I didn’t have my book handy and I know it wasn’t actually a choke. I didn’t think I needed to use the enricher until thr temps were well below freezing. I thought the computer did all that

·
Super Moderator
7,477 Posts
3 buddies of mine all have fuel injected quads. My first buddy has a Cam-Am XT-P Max 1000. My 2nd buddy has a Artic Cat Mud Pro 1000. And my 3d buddy has a 2016 Suzuki King Quad 750. All are full injected quads and have no enrichner whatsoever as the computer controls the fuel/air mixture. I was under the assumption that all fuel injected quads were this way. So when you described your quad being fuel injected and having an enrichner I was a bit puzzled. I know on my ‘00 Suzuki King Quad 300, I have usually have to start utilizing the enrichner when the temps hit about 0 Celsius or anything below that on the initial cold start up. Though my quad is also carbureted.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Congrats on your purchase of a new KQ400!
yeah, a 2019 400 is fuel injected and Suzuki actually advertises excellent cold starting on it.
the fast idle lever you see is where the choke used to be on older carbed units and is to warm it up quicker when it’s cold. As you described , it is working , since your bike starts but I‘m not sure it’s normal for it to be used at your location temperature/altitude (-1c).
It may be normal at your temp? Lots of guys on here have 400 FI maybe 1 can chime in or give your dealer a call and inquire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the larger machines have this as well? Wondering if the smaller engines have a more rudimentary FI system that requires some manual labor rather than just pushing a button

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I found the book. It literally refers to this as a choke. I guess I saw the “enricher” verbage online somewhere

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do the larger machines have this as well? Wondering if the smaller engines have a more rudimentary FI system that requires some manual labor rather than just pushing a button
No, 750s don’t and I don’t think the 500 does either.

·
Registered
301 Posts
And I found the book. It literally refers to this as a choke. I guess I saw the “enricher” verbage online somewhere
Yep enricher, fast idle adjuster and rpm stabilizer, also revered to as..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 19’ 400 and it was really tough to start prior to the initial oil change.

Since having the first service done (including valve adjustment) it’s starts much better. I’m not familiar with any other quad as this is my first one but it usually that’s a couple try’s at the starter button to get it running and the high idler helps get it warmed up. After a couple minutes of that and it’s off to the races. No issues otherwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 400 Fsi, using the enriching/choke lever when it's cold is normal. The quad will get easier to start as it gets some hours on it and breaks in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts