Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 2016 kingquad 400 FSi manual. Engine starts fine but I'm having to give it quite a lot of rev to get it going, and it seems reluctant - like the clutch is slipping. Once it's moving, it seems fine, and the clutch doesn't slip when you give it power.

I've only had the bike about 6 months and it's always been like it. Previously only driven honda ATVs so thought at first this may just be different to drive, but recently been back driving father's honda and the Suzuki is hard work to drive in camparision, constantly having to shift down. The bike rolls along easily - I can easily push it.

Is there anyway the clutch can be adjusted? I couldn't see anything about it in the handbook. Not quite sure where I need to look to check its condition etc.

Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check and clean your clutch system make sure your rollers are moving freely. There is also a wet clutch. YouTube won’t help much there aren’t many KQ400s videos. Pull it apart a take pictures I’ll help as much as possible

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are you using JASO MA (MOTORCYCLE OIL for wet clutches)?

That is Super important.. the primary clutch can/will slip if using standard oil.

You should have a struggle pushing it forward if the transmission is in H or L and reverse if tranny is in R...if not then the one way bearing is not working right..worn out? Thats with the engine off or on....or the one way bearing is slipping...mine is still the original after 15 yrs and it is responsible for the great off throttle braking...see comment #1 re oil... I use Rotella T6 5W40 year round..from -40c to +35c ... its JASO MA rated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm new to this forum but your problem is the same as I had recently. The centrifugal clutch is worn out, or at least the bob weight linings are. Strip the right side casings and get to the clutch, if the linings and drum are grooved up then replacement is the only option. I believe the clutch is an assembly only so be prepared! Get onto Partzilla or similar for a parts breakdown and also an idea of what you are going to find. Stripping will be the only way to find out. Heavy use and bad skills lead to this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The wet clutch should last the life of the machine if.....IF..... you use LOW range for all towing or plowing or climbing or mudding... and you use JASO MA oil

I had mine apart last winter for a look and it was like new but I followed those recommendations and I advise others to use LOW range if the going is slow (below 20 kph (12 mph) or towing/plowing/climbing/mudding...

yah the machine makes more noise.... but the wet clutch will be fully locked up and not slipping...that kills it fast... changing the primary clutch is a couple hours work, messy and expensive...ovoid it by using LOW range when needed... you are not doing it a favour by putting around the trails in high range...save that for cruising

1 - 5 of 5 Posts