Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having some poor idle when trying to shift from N to any gear it would stall out as soon as it was in gear. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and cleaned the tank and refilled with non ethanol 91. Problem appeared better but it would still stall out after a few minutes then it gradually got shorter and shorter before it wouldn't stay on unless I gave it a little throttle. Placed in dealer mode and checked TPS all appeared correct -C was showing centered. Being a NOOB with bikes I did not know of adjusting the idle on the handle bar. Adjusted that and everything began to work correctly. Finally had some time to tinker with it a little bit so I pulled it out ran it around the block a few times to get warm all was smooth. Gave it a bath and opened it up and Idle was horrible sputtering out of sync and black smoke from exhaust. Gave the TPS a tap and a jiggle and dropped the idle right back where it needed to be and ran very smooth no stalling smooth transitions into all gears. I decided to check the rectifier since I just bought the 2nd replacement battery since purchase last November and readings at idle were 12.8-13.0 at aprox 3000rpm was the same no lights on. Im guessing that it is the regulator going out which is why it isn't taking a keeping a charge well. What are the correct readings it should be putting out at idle? 13.8-14 correct? If so what are some good better than OEM replacements to put on it? Do you think the TPS is shot as well and should replace now or give it another chance?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
13.6-13.8 to 14.7-14.8
If the battery is really low , it will be a little lower until the battery starts to build up

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery was fresh off the charger Brand new first ride with it when i took the readings. When the quad was off i retested battery after parking and it was at 12.7

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I would try this before you spend the money on a new regulator http://www.suzukiatvforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/17537-ground-regulator-mod.html I know it definitely helped mine on charging and it might clean the idle up too with it having more electrical power. Then if it doesn't correct them I would swap regulators and possibly get a new TPS. Almost forgot if giving it a bath made the problem worse may I suggest waterproofing your connectors to keep water from getting in them and possibly causing possibly another issue http://www.suzukiatvforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/17025-basic-waterproofing-guide.html Hope these help you out.

THOMAS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
One additional thing I thought of is you can go to a hotter plug to see if that will solve the black smoke issue being as that normally indicates an overly rich environment. I think that if you do the few things I have stated it should improve everything you are having an issue with. If you need help on any of it just let us know and we will do what we can to assist you.

THOMAS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds Good I will do the Regulator mod when I get back in town from this weekend on a side note it appears that the motor mount on the front left is missing a bolt is this supposed to come from the skin on top or a separate just nut and bold to squeeze this into place

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Sounds Good I will do the Regulator mod when I get back in town from this weekend on a side note it appears that the motor mount on the front left is missing a bolt is this supposed to come from the skin on top or a separate just nut and bold to squeeze this into place

I just double checked on mine there isn't supposed to be a nut and bolt in there I guess it's designed for it to be that way from the factory. It kinda sounds like the TPS is not getting enough voltage, possibly from a dirty connector, or it is just flat out going bad on you. But definitely try the regulator mod first see if it cleans everything up if not might be time to replace it. By the way how many hours/miles does yours have on it?

THOMAS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update**

After running it rough for most of duck season it finally quit on me the last week of season. I went through it when I was able to strip it down and it would start but the idle was too fast it would not go into gear with no effect from the idle adjustment on the throttle cable. I ordered and replaced the TPS and the problem was immediately better. Still has a few bugs I'm working out but going to replace the spark plug here soon to see if it wasnt any thing to do with that and probably spray some of the cleaner in there when i do decide to replace it and try to get some of the gunk out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts