Suzuki ATV Forum banner

07 KQ 700 clutch mods

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Ehall8702 
#1 ·
So i just got a KQ for dirt cheap. Its ghetteo fabulous even! Its got a lift kit (maybe 2 ") , snorkels ( very well done , all is sealed up nicely and runs very well) and some 27" silverbacks, but on some ungodly offset rims, they cut alot of the foot wells and outside of footwel fender area. Bad bushings on 3 of 4 corners ( a arms, got all new on the way) . Wet clutch slips, so have new shoes (stock shoes and stall springs). I also orderef a shim kit ( 0-2mm , intend on seeing if 2mm fits as tores are HEAVY ASF) , Also have an epi lime green spring. Didnt buy a belt , will grab one if it doesnt look good when im in there.
These silverbacks , one is heavier than 3 of the 30" 30x8x12 interforces on stock grizzly 660 rims. Even with clutch slipping the 30s on the KQ it pulls wheelies. I have sum 30x10x15s im currently looking for rims to use as i think they will fot nicely on the KQ.
The 660 has 2mm and i thinj yellow spring and in stock motor form ( got most of the BBK, raptor cam, and all KW valvetrain in today) itll hold front wheels up past 40mph in High just sitting on the seat( fromt and rear trunks too).
Basically im looking for conformation i picked the right combo for this KQ have epi 16g rollers, max 2mm shim, and epi lime green spring. Also have a fi2000 injector tuner ( no idea if it works or not but when i pull the plastics and properly mount them). Also this machine has some stainless slip on exhaust, aluminum rad relocated to top of rack. I think i will be using a set of all rear stock grizzly rims and spacers woth the sioberbacks if i can, my 30s ( all on 4 stock front grizzly rims) are too narrow on the KQ.
Gimme sum feedback plz, clutch shoes will be here soon and time for change is possible still lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
So i just got a KQ for dirt cheap. Its ghetteo fabulous even! Its got a lift kit (maybe 2 ") , snorkels ( very well done , all is sealed up nicely and runs very well) and some 27" silverbacks, but on some ungodly offset rims, they cut alot of the foot wells and outside of footwel fender area. Bad bushings on 3 of 4 corners ( a arms, got all new on the way) . Wet clutch slips, so have new shoes (stock shoes and stall springs). I also orderef a shim kit ( 0-2mm , intend on seeing if 2mm fits as tores are HEAVY ASF) , Also have an epi lime green spring. Didnt buy a belt , will grab one if it doesnt look good when im in there.
These silverbacks , one is heavier than 3 of the 30" 30x8x12 interforces on stock grizzly 660 rims. Even with clutch slipping the 30s on the KQ it pulls wheelies. I have sum 30x10x15s im currently looking for rims to use as i think they will fot nicely on the KQ.
The 660 has 2mm and i thinj yellow spring and in stock motor form ( got most of the BBK, raptor cam, and all KW valvetrain in today) itll hold front wheels up past 40mph in High just sitting on the seat( fromt and rear trunks too).
Basically im looking for conformation i picked the right combo for this KQ have epi 16g rollers, max 2mm shim, and epi lime green spring. Also have a fi2000 injector tuner ( no idea if it works or not but when i pull the plastics and properly mount them). Also this machine has some stainless slip on exhaust, aluminum rad relocated to top of rack. I think i will be using a set of all rear stock grizzly rims and spacers woth the sioberbacks if i can, my 30s ( all on 4 stock front grizzly rims) are too narrow on the KQ.
Gimme sum feedback plz, clutch shoes will be here soon and time for change is possible still lol.

Welcome to the forum.

To each there own…. Tough to say about the configuration. Me personally, I would never buy a machine with mods like this one has, however….. if it suits you, then good. Go with it.

I am against buying a machine that has been snorkeled. Mainly because I know what the intended usage is and also what snorkeling does to the AFR. I am also not a fan of the look.

As far as performance modifications go, I know that most units with performance mods have been beat on a bit , at least. I prefer to do the mods myself , my way and then use it to my liking.

I am also not a fan of raising the vehicle by putting oversized tires on it. I have been on plenty of trails and wished that my stock machine was 2”-3” lower. Conversely, at different times on the same trail, I wished for 2”-3” more ground clearance. The difference is that the former can be you killed and the latter can cause you to scrape bottom if you aren’t careful.

Build the machine how YOU like it. Just remember to keep the shiny side up when riding.

Be safe.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

To each there own…. Tough to say about the configuration. Me personally, I would never buy a machine with mods like this one has, however….. if it suits you, then good. Go with it.

I am against buying a machine that has been snorkeled. Mainly because I know what the intended usage is and also what snorkeling does to the AFR. I am also not a fan of the look.

As far as performance modifications go, I know that most units with performance mods have been beat on a bit , at least. I prefer to do the mods myself , my way and then use it to my liking.

I am also not a fan of raising the vehicle by putting oversized tires on it. I have been on plenty of trails and wished that my stock machine was 2”-3” lower. Conversely, at different times on the same trail, I wished for 2”-3” more ground clearance. The difference is that the former can be you killed and the latter can cause you to scrape bottom if you aren’t careful.

Build the machine how YOU like it. Just remember to keep the shiny side up when riding.

Be safe.
I got the machine for $500 or i wouldnt have got it at all. I have a small fleet of machines that i have built the way i want them, the KQ is going to do exactly what the PO set it up for, gonna beat the crap out of it and stick it in the mudhole. It was rode hard and put up wet , so ill do same till it dies lol. Just wondering about vlutch setup, but looks same as my grizzly clutch so assume ill be good. Just looking for confirmation thats about it. No experience with these machines

#5 ·
I have a machine for every type riding i do, so this will be my toy to beat on. My last big ride was on my 02 grizzly, 30" interforces , 2" lift. Went 588 miles in a week. Handled all aspects of the ride great. I can ride anything anywhere tho. We hit everything from dry trail to swamp on that ride. Wifes little rancher 420 on 25" tires did everything but the swamp part and i pulled her thru it. But usually i ride my overbuilt 2x4 scrambler 500 ( just about 60hp) ive had for almoat 10 years and have ungodly amounts of time and money in, it eats 400ex s for snacks on a weekendly basis, just wish it didnt weigh 850lbs. Thats 250lbs more than the KQ and same more than the grizzly!

#7 ·
Clutch shoes will be here tomorrow, going to try each part one at a time and give as detailed as possible results maybe itll help someone out in the future. That and i dont want to do everything and not know which part had the ill effect.
@PilotJet if you are ever in my area ( near crystal fall mi) lemme know we got thousands of miles of trails here and most all of them are awesome!

#8 ·
So clutch shoes went in today. The old ones were WAAAY bad, down to metal most of it. Fidnt have a new clutch bell, so i put the grinder to the inside of the bell and easily angled the grinder (80grit flapper disc) so it ground evenly as it spun the clutch bell. Didnt take much at all off just fixed the surface up a bit.. put back together, 2mm shim, amd the 16g rollers (22g with plastic cover, was 26g woth covers in it already) , didnt change the secondary spring as it was a yellow. I have a lime green one on stand by. So idle i think is high, cant shift with it running. I can hold the primary clutch with a wrench between clutch and cage but u can feel the wet clutch slightly grabbing. One way bearing was put back in same way i took it out. Hope that bc i ground the bell its a bit uneven and shoes are finding thier home. Only ran the quad about 25 minutes and it seems to be getting better. Have a pint of ATF In woth the oil trying to clean some gunk out of engine when i change oil tomorrow.
As for the clutch mods , still not very impressed. I doubt the lime spring will make a huge difference over the yellow one either. I can get front wheels up in low with a foot back and pulling like crazy. Can barely in high. My grizz pulls 30s up in high sitting normally on seat. The 27x12x12 silverbacks r CRAZY heavy tho. Will swap the 30s on tommorow to see if its just the 4 big heavy tires thats my issue. I have some 30x10x15s i wanna run on it, hopefully i fond sum rims sooner than later.
Anyone have any ideas why clutch would be grabbing at idle? Idle seems high, going to relearn tps and check high idle screw tomorrow. Think manual says 1300rpm idle, havent looked to see if there is a tach on this machine yet tho.
On a side note, anyone have any experience with the fi2000 programmer? Pkugged in and lights up, played woth adjustments but cant tell a difference. Lean pops when u let off throttle.

#11 ·
Still updating, clutch mods were ok for the KQ. The silverbacks HAD to go! Put the 30x8x12 interforces on ( the footbed had been cut already, the bar that loops from back was cut or the 30s wouldnt fit) , GOBS of power but between the 30s being skinny amd the lift it was all i could do to keep rubner side down. Went to put on a set of mostly worn out 27" tires on ( on all 4 stock rear grizzly rims) and the 27x9 hit front shock, so off came the lift. But the rideability was great, wheelies on take off easily. So the final consensus is a set of 27x8x12 on front and 27x10-12x12 on rear, lift stays off, shortened the snorkels to hieght of the relocated rad.
Also with the 16g weights, 2mm shims, and yellow spring 64mph hits limiter. Going to try the stock weights again since i pulled the heavier tires. Dont need much over 60mph isnt usefull to me here, just wanna see what the difference is. So basically im gonna put sum meats on the machine in as close to stock form and keep it to beat on. May even pull motor and diffs for another project, would be a great motor for a full suspension go kart lol.

#13 ·
Those were 27" silverbacks, they just offset so far out they looked huge. They have huge lugs off the side so cant put them on dofferent rims bc they are way to wide, tires say 12 wide, but after lugs sticking out both sides, closer to 15" wide. Gonna go back close to stock and see how it works out. I got it all buggered up, i dont mind some time to fix stuff as long as im not putting more money into it than i paid for it lol.

#16 ·
$500 is a great deal. Especially In todays market. I can’t advise you on the clutching. That is not my area of expertise. Perhaps someone with practical experience in this area will jump in.
Well i made up my mind with this machine anyways. Ordered a new set of 27s that dont weight a ton. Keeping the 2mm shims bit going back to stock weights. The 16g and 27s , i find rev limiter at 64mph (gps not speedo), will get a bit more top speed with the stock weights. I like the lower gearing woth 2mm ahim tho. I ordered some new plastic parts fornthis machine to replace the ones that PO mutilated. Unfortunantly thebsnorkels and rad relocation have to stay (almost 500 to return it to stock, more than i wanna do). I will polish this turd up as mush as i can and on the market it goes. I believe i can het 2500-3000 out of it when im done. Ive been riding it for the last week to work, it has plenty of power, runs great but handling leaves alot to be desired. I much perfer my grizzly, power is same between the two machines just the yammy rides soo much better amd is more planted even with the 30s on the grizz and 27s on the KQ. Be a good flip as im less than 1000 in the machine after new tires .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.