Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a I believe 05 kq 700, always had charging issues... 3 years ago I put a car battery on the back rack but havent really used it much since, yesterday I went riding for about an hour, started smelling burnt smell, regulator bursts into flames and blows main fuse... I replace fuse start it and it catches fire again... replacing the regulator is easy. My question is could the car battery be causing this? It has 3200 miles on the original regulator and maybe like 50 miles since the car battery.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
You shouldn’t use a car battery to power your quad. You should use a proper 12V power sport’s battery only. Only time you should use a regular car/truck battery is to power your winch if you use it frequently like plowing, etc. Frequent use of you’re which draws a lot of power. Probably the reason why your rectifier/regulator caught fire as it’s not designed to charge large automotive batteries. Your best to replace the rectifier/regulator and buy yourself a proper battery for your quad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Only time you should use a regular car/truck battery is to power your winch if you use it frequently like plowing, etc. Frequent use of you’re which draws a lot of power.
I've found a good quality power sport battery can handle winching just fine, plowing isn't to hard on the battery its winching your buddy out of a deep mud hole that they were certain they could get though that really draws the amps :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
I've found a good quality power sport battery can handle winching just fine, plowing isn't to hard on the battery its winching your buddy out of a deep mud hole that they were certain they could get though that really draws the amps :LOL:
Oh I’ve definitely done lots of that, lol. My buddy always use to try and go through stuff he thought he could get through. In most instances he’d get stuck and I had to winch him out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh I’ve definitely done lots of that, lol. My buddy always use to try and go through stuff he thought he could get through. In most instances he’d get stuck and I had to winch him out.
At least it sounds like they learned their lesson, I wish I could say the same about my buddies. hehe

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
He has, but for the longest time he’d still go through all kinds of stuff. Now I think he learnt to “try” and avoid it. Mostly cause I think he was tired of always having to wash his bike, .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts