Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 Vinson 500 Automatic is very difficult to shift into Hi, Lo, Reverse and Park. You really have to stomp hard on the foot brake to make it go into gear. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Did you try adjusting the shifter linkage..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
You shouldn't need to step on the brake at all to shift into N H or L.. only to go to R..
Sounds like the shifter needs either lubricant or adjustment.. if it was working recently yty spraying the he double hockey sticks out of the entire external linkage.. also make sure you are stopped to shift.. I find both of mine can.be finicky to.shidt requiring the squirmy bun wiggle to get a nice click into gear.. instead of forcing it to move if its sticky just wiggle around on the seat while gently moving the lever..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine had a loose shift box. It would shift great if I just moved it down by then engine when no cable was on it, started working the problem back from there. I am on my second shift box now... Still is not great.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Not exactly sure how to do that, but can take a look. Do you have any hints to share?
No, unfortunately I do not. I just know the shifting mechanism on the automatics are a common issue. Either lubrication or linkage adjustments are all that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
A high Idle also makes it hard to shift into gear, like when I have the choke on a little bit mine will not shift at all.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yup... krabill... that is a great point

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the shifter box and lubricated all the friction points. That did make things work a little smoother but didn't solve the problem. I traced the cables that exit the shifter box and lubed all the friction points there, too. Still a no go. As it turns out one of the cables attaches to a lever near the back side of the transmission, via a spring. Pressing on the rear brake actuates this cable and allows you to shift into park and reverse. I tightened the adjuster near the lever and the thing works better than its worked in years. Thanks to all for your help on this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed the shifter box and lubricated all the friction points. That did make things work a little smoother but didn't solve the problem. I traced the cables that exit the shifter box and lubed all the friction points there, too. Still a no go. As it turns out one of the cables attaches to a lever near the back side of the transmission, via a spring. Pressing on the rear brake actuates this cable and allows you to shift into park and reverse. I tightened the adjuster near the lever and the thing works better than its worked in years. Thanks to all for your help on this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dsutton99, I've gotta replace the plastic shift rod in my Vinson. How do you remove the shift box? I cant find any info on removal. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
Dsutton99, I've gotta replace the plastic shift rod in my Vinson. How do you remove the shift box? I cant find any info on removal. Thanks
Unfortunately, that member hasn’t been heard from since January of 2019. This was an old post.

There are a couple of videos available on YouTube that may give you some insight. The two that I looked at both commented that it was a pain to remove the shifter box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts