1995 LT 4-WD QuadRunner bogs down and stalls when warm. - Suzuki ATV Forum
Suzuki QuadRunner 250 Discussions for the Quadrunner 250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

1995 LT 4-WD QuadRunner bogs down and stalls when warm.

Hi, I’m new to this forum and really glad I stumbled onto a wealth of knowledge here. Quickly becoming a DYI on this machine. I have a 95 LT 4Wd Quadrunner that runs poorly when warm amongst some previous issues. Ran decent for a while but would stall a lot and be hard to start.
I put a new carb kit in and it seemed to make the problem worse although it starts up great when cold. Acts like it is flooded when it gets warm and is very hard to restart and keep running without fluttering the throttle. Carb is set to manual specs., and was spotless when opened. The needle jet was wide open, even dripping fuel before I set it 2 7/8 out. Wondering where to start looking for the problem now. Maybe check the petcock? Also are parts from a King Quad 300 interchangeable with the Quadrunner? ie, muffler, fuel shut off, choke cable, tires? Thanks for any help.
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Muffler possibly, the rest I would have to say no. The tires and rims on a Quadrunner are different sizes. So pieces probably, but I couldn’t tell you exactly which ones are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4
K&N Air Filter
2300 lbs Superwinch
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
14,000 + km/s
post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

You can go online and check out a parts supplier like suzuki parts house. Compare the part numbers for both the 250 and 300 parts. Thats what i do when checking compatibility. I've used a few used king quad 300 parts on my quadrunner 250. Some are the same but not everything is. If they have the same part number its the same part.
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-26-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Thanks for the advice. I’ll cross reference the part numbers to see if they are the same.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-31-2019, 12:45 AM
Suzuki ATV Master!

95 has the CV carb. You might try replacing the spring on the top of the slide diaphragm. They get weak and the slide opens to early, which causes a lean condition that makes it cough. Not enough fuel. This can also make the motor run hotter.

If you ride it and hold the throttle steady, will it start bogging or it is okay as long as you don't change throttle?

Could also be the opposite problem, the slide is not opening correctly causing it to run very rich. Usually you'll get a few backfires at half throttle or higher if this is the case.

If I recall, the pilot screw is on the bottom of the carb and about 1" away from the transmission, making it almost impossible to get a screwdriver in there to adjust it while it is running. I cut a small screw driver down to fit and threaded the end so I could put a nut on it after I slid the screwdriver in. Adjusting while it is running is really the only way to make it exactly what you need. While they say it does effect the performance above 1/3 throttle, my testing shows that when it is way off (full turn), it can effect it up to 3/4 throttle. Also, the screw is a fuel screw, meaning, the more open (out) it is, the more fuel the engine gets. (as oppose to a pilot air screw, where the more open it is, the less fuel).

The reason my first reaction is for it to be running lean is because hotter 4 stroke engines tend to bog more and get hard to start as they really need more fuel. Sometimes just opening the choke a little will clear that up.

One last thing, the float level is very critical. It only has a 1mm tolerance range... Meaning +/- .5mm from what the manual says. (13mm?) To high and it will slobber all over itself at idle and be hard to start when warmed up. To low and it will be leaner and not start well cold and will tend to run better at low speeds with the choke on.

2013 Suzuki King Quad 500 AXi w/EPS
1990 Suzuki LT-4WD 250
and lots of snowmachines
post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
96 lt-4wd

I got the same problem on my 96 lt-4wd. Starts great cold and runs great for 10 minutes and then bogs down, sputters. I've tried everything, spent $400 at dealer, they could not figure it out. Some say its the voltage regulator overcharging but it sputters with lights on too when warm. Let me know if you try that carb adjustment.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
I was running my 96 LT-4WD this week and it started to bog down after awhile when it got warmed up. I took the hose that sits on top the gas cap and blew in it hard about 5 times. Guess what, the engine runs better!. Try it. Is this a clue as to what is wrong?
post #8 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
Suzuki ATV Master!

Something restricting the fuel flow. Yes, that is a good clue of what is wrong.

Some of these LT-4WD-250's run better when running a bit richer too. So after cleaning the fuel system out (petcock to the carb) and it still does it, try going up a jet size on the mains. For example, if it is running a 120 main jet, try a 130 and see how it runs. Mine ran much better with a larger jet.

2013 Suzuki King Quad 500 AXi w/EPS
1990 Suzuki LT-4WD 250
and lots of snowmachines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in