'91 Quadrunner - no spark - Suzuki ATV Forum
Suzuki QuadRunner 250 Discussions for the Quadrunner 250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

'91 Quadrunner - no spark

I'm a first-timer on this forum. I've searched the forum to see if I could find info that would help me with my issue. Loads of useful info but still wasn't able to solve my issue.
I'm working on my neighbor's 1991 LT-4WDX Quadrunner.
VIN: JSAAK42A1M2104190
He says he hit a snow bank when plowing, the machine died and hasn't sparked since. The owner was told that these quads were famous for skipping the timing chain. Not sure if this is true or not but in any case I would still get a spark even if the timing was not correct. Plus, as far as I know, the timing chain also runs the camshaft that opens/closes the valves...and there is compression. I checked out the coil and found the secondary resistance readings were out. Replaced the coil and expected to see a spark. There was none!

I've checked the integrity (resistance) of the wiring from;
1) coil signal wire back to CDI box connection - good
2) pulse generator wiring to CDI box connections - good (112 Ohms with no continuity to ground)
3) lighting coil wires (3 yellow) to rectifier box connections - 1.7 Ohms between each wire, no continuity to ground)
4) 12-volt feed wire going to CDI box - good

When I turn it over should I be able to read AC or DC voltage from one of the wires coming from the pulse generator? As well, should there be DC voltage coming from the signal wire on the CDI box going to the coil terminal? Is there a way to check the CDI box? Looks like I've ruled out any other possibilities.... I think!

My suspicion is that the pulse generator is not giving a signal but I have no idea on how to confirm this.
I appreciate any help given in solving the above no-spark issue.
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Post has been on for 5 days...71 Views...ZERO Replies. Obviously, this is not the forum to get Suzuki tech help!
post #3 of 10 Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Iím sorry you havenít gotten a reply yet. But there is no need to bash the members of this Forum because no one has answered you. Either people donít know, or there hasnít been anyone online to either suggest a course of action or give you a possible fix to your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4
K&N Air Filter
2300 lbs Superwinch
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
14,000 + km/s
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

My apologies. I didn't mean to bash anyone.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 11:03 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Go hard, this is where I would start, have your neighbor get one of these.. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I think there’s one on e-bay

Rats I just seen rule #9, say no links to manuals on line, not sure what that’s all about..but if you look under 91 lt-4wdx quadrunner, you’ll find a link to a service manual..it says there’s one on e-bay.

Good luck

07 Kingquad 700 with some Yoshimura bits and pieces....
Aluminum guards
Winch

Last edited by Wally Mayfield; 01-09-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Can not seem to find this. Can you give me direction as to which forum I'd find this in? Thanks for the input Wally.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 PM
ATV Enthusiast

I sent u a link , check your mail

07 Kingquad 700 with some Yoshimura bits and pieces....
Aluminum guards
Winch
post #8 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Thanks, Wally:-)
post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Triple checked all the wiring...seems to be fine. Got a hold of a second-hand CDI box. Still no spark. Perhaps it is a bad CDI box??? I'm surely not going to order a new one at the ridiculous price the dealer quotes!
Can anyone tell me what I should be seeing for voltage/resistance on the pulse generator wires going to the CDI box when I'm cranking the engine over? Since these wires should be sending the signal for the CDI box which will then send a signal to the coil. Also, I assume the signal wire on the coil should be getting battery voltage when cranking??
Looks like I have to start from the beginning since I'm obviously missing something here.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
There is a testing procedure in the manual for the CDI box, as well as one for testing the green and black/blue wires from the pickup. Have you checked continuity from the harness end of the stator to the plug on the CDI on the green and blue/black? Resistance? That wire bundle is routed above the front of the gas tank under the steering stalk and very tightly under the frame, I had a mouse-nest in mine where all of the wires from that loom were eaten/exposed and shorting on one-another. If you lack continuity or have anything over .00 resistance while checking those wires, you may have a problem there.

Other than that, on the spark-front... I am in the same boat as you.

I have a new AGM battery, new coil, new plug, new CDI, and a new R/R... and I am getting no spark. Orange wire to the CDI shows 12v when switched to RUN, 0v when OFF, and I notice no other damage to any of my wires.

At this point I am leaning on it being the pickup near the stator being the issue... but I am not quite ready to rule-out something within the harness being the issue. SO... I am waiting to crack my case open again (just replace the starter one-way bearing)... and am going to take both my original and new parts from the Quadrunner and try them on my good-running KingQuad300. If they all work... then I'm going to crack my case and replace the stator/pickup... then try again.

Unfortunately, I don't have quite the understanding of HOW to troubleshoot the electronics on the bench, even following directions from the Clymer manual. R x 1 means nothing to me... I don't even have that option on my multi-meter... but 20000m, 2000m, 200m, 20m, 20 and 200 all give me different values... none of which match what the damn manual is asking for. Haha.

I think you're supposed to see 1-5v from the pickup when cranking, no more than that though.

Also, I'm trying all Caltric electronics (easily found on amazon or ebay). They are very inexpensive, and are built to the same quality as OEM or better in most cases. I've used them a hundred times on 70's and 80's motorcycles with great luck. I think all the parts have set me back maybe $150? Stator, CDI, Coil and R/R.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - R. Green

Last edited by Dan Superchi; 04-15-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in