Help please - should I get KQ? - Suzuki ATV Forum
Suzuki KingQuad Discussions for the KingQuad 400,450,750,

1Likes
  • 1 Post By KQ450

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Help please - should I get KQ?

I’ve been researching and want KQ 500 axi w/ power steering for hunting and light trail use. I don’t plan to do anything fast or too muddy. I’ve noticed inventory on KQ is limited and it does not seem to be very popular with dealers in my area. The Polaris is extremely popular (and cheaper) and other brands like Honda and Yamaha are more common.

Should I be concerned with buying a KQ since they don’t seem popular in Southeast? Note, I plan to keep this a long time. Big driver for me is that I’ve heard from several that it is very reliable and well built compared with other brands including Honda. I have found some good prices (significantly higher than Polaris Sportsman though).

I appreciate your feedback very much.
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Suzuki ATVer

I have a KQ 500 axi. I wouldn't know if it is particularly any better then another brand. I would think any of the brands you mentioned would work for trial riding and hunting.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Suzuki ATVer

Im sure Honda and Yamaha are fine as friends have them but Polaris I would stay away from. Yes cheaper but in long run it'll cost you, at least from my point of view. My brother keeps buying polaris 400's then a few 570's. All have been money pits. Nothing but starter issues, battery located down low between motor and front diff. , axle issues, voltage regulator failing and goes on. We have 4 Suzuki's in the family now 3 2008 KQ450's and one 2017 500 axe with p/steering. They are abused and never had and issue. One 2008 had key switch harness connection recall and it even failed but never let me down anywhere. The centre of gravity is great, climbing some ridicules hills never feeling unsafe. The hold back going down hills is superior, not like polaris as you have to keep on throttle or it free wheels. Ya its sounds like polaris bashing but something to consider before you buy a cheap quad.
kenora likes this.
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Suzuki ATV Master!

I do agree. I owned a Polaris Sportsman 450 and got tired of things breaking on it. The last thing was the front axel CV joint. The front end bounced and shattered the knuckle. I compared the axel to one off my old 1990 Quadrunner 250 and the joint was a lot thinner and the bearings were smaller. I started looking at other parts of the Polaris and noticed that it had a lot of stamped framing (as opposed to welded bars).

Suzuki is showing a commitment to keeping the King Quads alive, which is good. They are probably the bottom of the sales.

Buying new:

Suzuki - more simple, less things to go wrong, my only issue is the electrical output could be better

BRP - Top of the food chain in pricing, but feature rich and there is just something about the twins that is sweet. Prices have stablized and certain models are competitive with similar models from other makers.

Honda - Probably the most reliable engines ever. I personally didn't like the way the push button reverse worked, but for general riding it does fine.

Yamaha - Another worthy machine. Reliable and powerful machines. I'd probably have a Yamaha if it were not for Suzuki.

Kawasaki - Fading brand (ATV market), but they still hold on. Good machines in the past, I have no clue of current.

Polaris - Built cheap to sell cheap, but there is a lot of Polaris lovers out there. Specially in northern areas where they also buy the snowmobiles.

Arctic Cat/Textron - This company is so unstable right now in their Snowmobiles, that I can't help but think the ATV's are part of that. Textron has always been thought of like John Deere and Kubota ATVs. Just professional work machines. I like the Arctic Cat snowmobiles, but never been a fan of the ATVs. Our local dealer for Suzuki is also the Cat dealer. He tried to point me toward a Cat, but I told him nope, want the Suzuki King Quad.

other off brands - I really have no experience with them, however there are a few that make decent trail runners. The Kymco and KTM brands are popular.

2013 Suzuki King Quad 500 AXi w/EPS
1990 Suzuki LT-4WD 250
and lots of snowmachines
post #5 of 6 Old 10-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Suzuki ATVer

Not sure if it's too late but I just picked up a 2019 750 loaded & dang is it quality, almost to a fault. I don't want to scratch that bronze paint! I had 2 Can-Am Outlanders & they were much more fun and sporty, but the Suzuki is very nice for what you will be doing.
When I was looking, I had completely forgotten about Suzuki Quads since we don't see them at all in Texas or Colorado. Decent bike, just seems like it's more utility than sporty.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Suzuki ATVer

I just got two 2019 KQ 400s, price was great. They seem like very well built machines. We've taken one to KY and rode hills with it. No problems, plenty of power. Lots of fun. They will see duty in the woods, trails, hills, & general 'round the property use. I like the idea they are new and have Suzuki warranty. I won't have to work on them

2019 King Quad 400ASI Camo
2019 King Quad 400ASI Terra Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in