1999 King Quad will not roll forward - Suzuki ATV Forum
Suzuki KingQuad 300 Discussions for the King Quad 300

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
1999 King Quad will not roll forward

Hi all,

I just bought a 1999 King Quad 300 4X4 for $400, had almost new MudLite tires on it, so I figured buy and see if I can fix it, if not I could pretty much sell the tires for what I have into it.

It was missing the speedo head. I have purchased a used one on-line($60) and it should be here soon. Its also missing a few minor parts like the starter relay, but no big deal.

When I bought it would not roll forward or backward. I discovered that the rear brake was seized so I took that all apart and ordered parts, but in the meantime, I put the drum and wheel back on so I can roll it around. Now it will roll backward but not roll forward.

I can put the HIGH/LOW range shifter (the one on the right) halfway between HIGH and LOW and I can then roll the bike forward. So I assume that is a neutral position with gears disengaged. No noise or grinding or catching so all gearing in neutral seem ok.

I took the jug off and inspected the cylinder walls. All looks good. Will do a light hone and a new set of rings. So that is still apart right now as well.

So now there is no piston back pressure, rear wheels are jacked in the air, and I still cannot get the wheels to turn forward when in gear, that would result in turning the crank. The wheels slightly turn (not even 1" of rotation) then feel like they lock up in gearing somehow.

I took off the cover plate on the clutch side. All gearing and teeth look good, no bad wear or broken teeth. I have bought new clutch friction disks and clutch springs so will also install those.

However, now with the clutch cover off, if I place a socket on the nut on the Primary clutch (the one with the clutch shoe), the front clutch wheel to the right of the clutch basket, and turn it clock wise, I can turn over the motor and can see the piston's connecting rod coming in and out of the block. No grinding or noises and things move well, so the engine is not seized. If I take off the socket (and do ntohing esle) I can still continue to turn the rear wheels in the forward direction and the engine continues to turn over. All good.

However, as soon as I stop that direction and turn the rear wheels in the backward direction, something seem to re-set and I can no longer turn the rear wheels in the forward direction, unless I again first start the process by turning the primary clutch with the socket.

I am a back yard mechanical and fix all my dirt bikes, cars, trucks, etc, but this has me stumped. I am no pro at this.

It would seem to me that an atv with a centrifigal clutch should not have anything engaged until the RPMs increase. To me this would mean that the atv should be able to roll backward and forwards even when in gear (when not running) as the clutch is not engaging the motor. With my dirt bikes or a car, its not a centrifugal clutch so it will not roll backward or forward without first pulling in the cluth lever in or stepping on the clutch pedal and dis-engaing the motor. Maybe quads are different.

Also I have the pull start assembly off, when the wheel are locked up (will not roll forward) if I put the pull start back on I cannot pull the pull start to rorate the engine. But I can pull the pull start and turn the engine if I start by first turning the primary clutch with the socket. This is all very strange to me.

I have the repair manual for the KingQuad 300, bought on-line for $14, it shows how it all goes together, but does not explain operation. So I am having difficulties understanding what is happening here.

I have not pulled the trany side cover plate off yet, but that will be next if needed.

Because of all of this I am considering that I may have a broekn fork or something in the tranny gearing. Or does this have something to do with the neutral safety switch ?

UPDATE... to this post even as I write it. I have been running in and out of the garage this morning testing things and coming in an writing them down. Now.. this morning I have done nothing other that whats noted herein with respect to turning the rear wheels and turning the primary clutch wth a socket, and placing the pull chord on the side of the motor and pulling it when it will pull.

Now... for some strange reason I cannot get the wheels to lock up. Good news but why? On the last try, I first turned the primary clutch with the socket. Checked to see that I could splin the wheels in both the backward and forward direction and all was good. Then placed the pull start at the side of the motor and pulled it. This time it pulled and turned the engine over (which would be the running/strating state of the motor) and does not turn the rear wheels. Which the wheels would not turn until the RPMs came up and the centrifugal clutch engages. So that all seems good. Thats the way it should work in my opinion.

So what happened ? I really did nothing to fix it.

This motor has not run in a few years and low on oil. Was something stuck ? Was the pull start gears out of sync with something that caused a binding somewhere that would not allow things to turn in the forward direction ?

Or do I have a broken fork or something that is now not dropping back down to lock up things ?

As everything now seems good, I just want tp put it all back together, but what the heck was going on ?

For the past two days I have been messing with this a reading stuff with no resolution. This morning was the first time I first turned the primary clutch with the socket and then PULLED THE STARTING CHORD AND IT ACTUALLY TURNED. I am thinking that something was just stuck due to low oil or was out of sync for some reason. Seems a bit strange though.

My concern is, whats to stop it from happening again. I guess fresh oil will stop any sticking parts. Maybe that is all it was.

If it was just a stuck part, then after about $600 of maintetance parts including brakes shoes, wheel bearings x 4, seals, a cylinder hone new rings, brake cylinder kit, carb kit and basically new Mud-Lite tires I should have a great little quad. Cannot wait to ride it.

But I am puzzled as I really did nothing to fix it. I will go back out and play ith it tonight and see if things are still the same.

Thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Suzuki ATV Master!

One thought.......there is a one way bearing on the centrifugal clutch....if you took it off and replaced it , it may have been in backwards and you put it back on correctly .....
Or could have been what you thought..

2002 King Quad 300
2001 King Quad 300
1997 King Quad 300
1997 quad Runner 250 2x4
2008 Kawasaki 250 Bayou 2x4
2013 TaoTao 110
post #3 of 8 Old 02-07-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
Thanks,
Yeah, I haven't taken apart either of the clutchs yet. I did read about that directional bearing and wondered about that. But, it has to be installed correctly because now (as of this morning) it is all working correctly. Very weird !

I am leaning towards something that was stuck, due to low oil. I don't think this engine has run in years. Top of the motor is pretty dry.
Either that or a bad tranny fork that is being inconsistent.

Weird things is... I really did nothing to fix it other than rotating/cycling the clutch, engine, tranny and pull start components. Now it works.

Hoping it just unstuck or sync's and is all good. Will be looking at it more/again tonight.
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-03-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
Well... thought i would update this. Top end is back together. New rings. Through the process of doing all that an messing with it. It appears it was just stuck in a gear.

With all the turning it must have lub’d up and unstuck cause its is all good now.

Every thing seems to be working as it should.

Still not running, have to replace the primary clutch, but getting closer.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Suzuki ATV Master!

Sounds like you are on track.....good deal.

2002 King Quad 300
2001 King Quad 300
1997 King Quad 300
1997 quad Runner 250 2x4
2008 Kawasaki 250 Bayou 2x4
2013 TaoTao 110
post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
Further update. I now have the primary clutch back together and the main clutch basketball together and installed.

All the wiring was missing from the reverse sensor and neutral sensor, but have figured that all out now.

The issue is shifting.
I can shift is from neutral to 5th with no issues. In any gear (with the rear end elevated) I can turn the back wheels and feel the load of the engine as it turns over, and no load in neutral. All good.

Getting it into revserse is a bit of a trick and I seems like I have to roll the wheels back a bit to get it to shift into reverse (reverse light now comes on.... yeah), but once in reverse I cannot turn the rear wheels in the reverse direction at all
?
Why?

Is this normal ? I would have thought that I would still be able to turn the motor over by turning the wheels backwards..

It s my opinion that if it goes from neutral with no drag, into reverse where it now has the engine drag, that if it has no grinding etc rolling in the forward direction, that all the reverse gears should be good, but when trying to turning the wheels in the backing up direction they are locked. Wondering if this has something to do with the directional bearing in the primary clutch ?

Doesn’t seem right. i still have not had this thing running, getting close, but maybe things work differently when the engine is running ?

Also, second issue...
I have been playing with the adjusting bolt and nut for the clutch. It says to turn it inwards until you feel friction, then back it out 1/8” of a turn and set it there.

If I do that it won’t shift. i have to loosen it an back it out a fair bit to be able to shift.

Any thoughts there ?

Thanks in advance
post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
This is the page from the manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1554863442463.jpg (929.3 KB, 4 views)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
Well.... it was an exciting day today. I got the KQ running. Everything works great and runs great.

I answered my own question with respect to the wheels locked and I could not turn them backwards when in reverse up on blocks. I guess that is just the way it is, cause once running everything was fine.

Took a bit to get the vacuum sorted out for the fuel pump. I messed with hoses for a bit, had to trn idle way up, but it would backfire/pop back up through the sir intake. It wouldn’t run right, but once I blocked off the right cacuum line, idle picked way up, probably 1000tpm, and motor smoothed out. Turn the idle way down and it now just purrs.

Nice.

Tomorrow i will do the front boots and change the diff fluid.

Last thing will be to re-build my starter them put the fenders and racks all back on and DONE.

Oh, right now my starter does not work si I am starting it with the pill chord. Starts everytime with a half pull. Nice !

Cannot wait to get out on the trailers on it.

Thanks for everyone’s help and comments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in