Eiger Front Discs to KQ 300? - Suzuki ATV Forum
Suzuki KingQuad 300 Discussions for the King Quad 300

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-03-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Eiger Front Discs to KQ 300?

There's a 2004 Eiger for sale near me, it's in rough shape but I'm considering buying it to get the disc brake components for my King Quad 300.

Has anyone who has done the conversion used parts from an Eiger?
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Take a look at 93kingquad’s page. He did one of these conversions along with some other mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I started this conversion but haven't gotten to finish it yet. Eiger hubs will bolt on the stock KQ knuckles, the issue I'm running into is having to make some custom adapter plates to mount calipers. I have a template made, just haven't had time to make them.

What I want to know is if the entire Eiger knuckle will swap over- visually, the KQ and Eiger knuckle look very similar, save for the steer arm being at a higher point on the KQ knuckle. My goal was to buy a cheap knuckle to try this. Basically, my plan is to drill out the taper in the Eiger knuckle, swap the KQ tie rod end to a heim and use a bolt, sleeve and spacer to correct the difference in the steer arm heights.
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-04-2017, 11:34 PM
ATV Enthusiast

I don't understand why someone would go through the trouble for this upgrade. It would be worth it if you were building a race quad, but these things are slugs. I'm not trying to be a troll, I'm just curious.

1999 King Quad 300
post #5 of 16 Old 10-05-2017, 01:38 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toostroked View Post
I don't understand why someone would go through the trouble for this upgrade. It would be worth it if you were building a race quad, but these things are slugs. I'm not trying to be a troll, I'm just curious.
Though I am doing a full restoration/ upgrade to my KQ, my reasoning was due to the terrain around here. I'm not a mud guy but here in the South it's unavoidable, so I always had fits keeping drum brakes maintained. They were to the point of needing everything internal replaced which was going to be about the same cost as the disk replacement, which is a superior system to drums. I also use my KQ to move trailers around, so the extra stopping power of the disks sure is nice. Its not a swap for everyone, but my needs necessitated it. I plan to do a full write up when I get around to finishing my KQ.
toostroked likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Goodwin View Post
Though I am doing a full restoration/ upgrade to my KQ, my reasoning was due to the terrain around here. I'm not a mud guy but here in the South it's unavoidable, so I always had fits keeping drum brakes maintained. They were to the point of needing everything internal replaced which was going to be about the same cost as the disk replacement, which is a superior system to drums. I also use my KQ to move trailers around, so the extra stopping power of the disks sure is nice. Its not a swap for everyone, but my needs necessitated it. I plan to do a full write up when I get around to finishing my KQ.
You made a good argument for the conversion. I'm fortunate here in the Ozarks, nothing but rock and gravel. Weren't the 2001 300s equipped with disk brakes? I wonder if those would be an easy bolt on.

1999 King Quad 300
post #7 of 16 Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
You made a good argument for the conversion. I'm fortunate here in the Ozarks, nothing but rock and gravel. Weren't the 2001 300s equipped with disk brakes? I wonder if those would be an easy bolt on.
If you can find the parts, it is an easy swap. From my research that option was rare.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Suzuki ATV Master!

Disks were options on some models ....but they started front disk in 2002 as standard on 300 KQ

2002 King Quad 300
2001 King Quad 300
1997 King Quad 300
1997 quad Runner 250 2x4
2008 Kawasaki 250 Bayou 2x4
2013 TaoTao 110
post #9 of 16 Old 10-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Suzuki ATVer

I can't say as i know if it will be a direct bolt on from drum to disk brakes but i rebuild my front drum brakes for just a shade under $20 using parts online from rockauto. 94 GEO metro, all the parts are exactly the same and it saved me a lot of $$$ vs using online ATV parts for my 94.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Couple of reasons. This is a hobby for me and I enjoy making changes that make it a better quad. I don't do a lot of mudding but stream crossings are hard to avoid and the drum brakes are useless when they're wet. Obviously I don't ride fast, it's not possible on a 300, but I look for the gnarliest trails I can find and there are times when I'm really standing on the foot brake because the fronts don't provide much stopping power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode