Suzuki ATV Forum banner

Need Help with a 2002 LT-F400/F Eiger rebuild

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  outlawonce 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I had a buddy of mine practically give me a Aiger 400 that he was trying to fix. He gave up didn't have the time. He had replaced the starter, piston, and rings. He didn't set the timing correct and gave up. So I have been trying to work on this. I didn't take it apart meaning the head was off when I got it but have the manual and seem to be doing ok or at least I'm making progress. I noticed that when I use the electric start it makes a pretty loud clunk after turning over. I set the timing adjusted the valves and could get it to run for a few minutes but would shut off. I double checked the timing and valves set per the book specs. But now when I try to use the electric start it only turns over maybe two times then stops. try again same thing. I have a new battery so I thought maybe the charge was low charged the battery same thing maybe two turns. I tried to pull start it and it has a lot of resistance really hard to pull. I took the plug out and it pulls ok I have compression and it turns over without binding. I also noticed that the starter was hot to the touch. I was thinking that maybe the exhaust valves were too tight so I checked again and went toward the high side 0.011. This made no change. Not sure where to go from here. With having the clunk sound from the starter or near it I'm wondering if its the starter clutch? Should I try to use the starter with the plug out and see how that does? ANy help in which direction to go would be great and mostly appreciated. I did check all of the connections and they are tight.

See less See more
#2 ·
I could really use some help on this one. I finally got it running. Sort of. I can pull start it and it runs fine but if I try to use the electric start it doesn't turn over the motor you can hear grinding gears. So I replaced the starter clutch, and both idle gears. I also replaced the starter which I found out the one in it was larger than the OEM. Put it all back together hit the switch fired right up. But on the second try I could hear those gears grinding again. The pins were good, the replaced gears were new. I also hear a clank when it shuts off. Now I'm back to trying to figure out whats going on. I made sure the bearing was set on the clutch. Everything looked ok. Has anyone had this issue before? I can't find anything in the forums. Does anyone have suggestions on what it could be? My thinking is to take it back apart and make sure all of the gears line up correctly. Or to check for anything that may be lose. Is there any other gears that are connected to the starter/ Any help would be most appreciated. I'm so close but yet so Far Away.

#3 ·
You may have the lose magnet problem. I don't know what years had that problem, but maybe someone else will chime in with the year models effected.

#4 ·
I did have lose magnets but replaced the flywheel, stator, Starter Clutch, Starter gear the large one, and both idle gears. I think that is all that is connected to the starter. That's why I'm confused on what is making this noise and loud clank when it shuts off.I'm leaning toward something not lining up or lose with the gears. I'll have to take it back apart and see if I can see whats going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.