Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1994 king quad hard start

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ianmcdz 
#1 ·
Hi guys I have a 1994 king quad that has been hard to start for some time. It has a new battery but seems to need to be connected to the wall to start. It starts better when it is warm out. When it's cold it can take 5 minutes if trying to start before it goes. Then it won't idle untill it warms up. Once it's warm it starts no problem and idles pretty well. It does smoke a little but in general the engine sounds pretty good. I had a few thoughts- could this be a clutch issue? Or maybe an electrical issue?

#2 ·
Check your valves. Out of spec valves will cause hard starts when the engine is cold. To check them, remove the valve inspection caps and use a feeler gauge to determine the clearances. If out of spec, adjust the valves accordingly. And your clutch won’t cause hard starts. And welcome the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Could be a choke issue. Make sure the choke/enrichers is actually opening up.

These newer chokes are actually enrichers. They open another fuel passage to add more fuel to the mix.

Easy way to test for a choke issue is to simply use your hand to choke it. Put your hand over the intake of the choke and turn it over. It it starts easily, then your enricher is plugged or not opening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.